Northampton 27-12 Scarlets, Anglo-Welsh Cup semi-final
Powerful Saints set up derby date
March 11, 2012
Date/Time: Mar 11, 2012, 13:00 local, 13:00 GMT
Venue: Franklin's Gardens, Northampton
Northampton Saints 27 - 12 Scarlets
Half-time: 13 - 6
Tries: Armstrong, Waller
Cons: Myler
Pens: Lamb, Myler 4
Pens: SM Jones 4
Saints winger Scott Armstrong goes over, Northampton Saints v Scarlets, Anglo-Welsh Cup semi-final, Franklin's Gardens, March 11, 2012
Northampton's Scott Armstrong dives over in the corner
© Getty Images
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: Anglo-Welsh Cup

Northampton put away the Scarlets 27-12 at Franklin's Gardens on Sunday to set up a date with Leicester in the Anglo-Welsh Cup Final.

The Saints had the stronger pack, with lively performances from Alex Waller and Scott Armstrong, and they scored the only two tries of the game, but they showed little attacking flair behind the scrum and had to rely on 14 points from the impressive Stephen Myler to emphasise their superiority.

In contrast, the Scarlets were the more creative but they threw away two early chances that may have changed the course of the game and after that were their own worst enemies, making too many unforced errors at crucial times.

The Scarlets nearly took the lead after only eight minutes. The visitors won a lineout in the Northampton 22 and a strong burst from Gareth Maule took them over the gain line before Dominic Day surged over the try line only for the TMO to rule no try as the second-row had been held up by some desperate home defence.

The Scarlets declined to take a kickable penalty in favour of more attacking options and they almost earned their reward when Andy Fenby stormed clear only to be hauled down 10 metres short by an excellent cover tackle.

They were made to pay for those missed opportunities when Northampton took a 15th-minute lead. The Saints won a lineout 10 metres out from the visitors' line and had little problem in driving over for a Waller try, which was converted by Myler with the outside half then adding a penalty.

The Scarlets collected their first points when Stephen Jones kicked a 45 metre penalty after the Saints infringed at the lineout but this was nullified with a second successful penalty from Myler. Straight from the restart, Northampton foolishly gave away a penalty and Jones made no mistake with his kick to leave his side 13-6 behind at the interval.

Within three minutes of the restart Jones had further reduced the arrears with his third penalty, this time a kick from 40 metres, but Northampton soon responded with an excellent try.

The Saints produced their best passage of play, pressurising the Scarlets' defence in their own 22. There were key drives from James Craig and Waller before a missed tackle on George Pisi allowed the centre to send Armstrong in at the corner for a try, which Myler was unable to convert.

Back came Scarlets and a further Jones penalty made it 18-12 to the hosts with half an hour remaining, but two well-struck penalties from Myler gave the Saints a healthy 12-point advantage.

The Scarlets continued to give away too many needless penalties which prevented them building up any real momentum. Replacement Ryan Lamb hit a post with a long-distance penalty but then succeeded with another, after Day was sin-binned for offside, to give the Saints an ultimately comfortable victory.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.