Ospreys 19-10 Leinster, RaboDirect PRO12
Ospreys comeback downs Leinster
ESPN Staff
November 4, 2012
Report Match details
Date/Time: Nov 4, 2012, 16:00 local, 16:00 GMT
Venue: Liberty Stadium, Swansea
Ospreys 19 - 10 Leinster
Half-time: 9 - 10
Tries: Walker
Cons: Morgan
Pens: Morgan 3
Drops: Morgan
Tries: Auva'a
Cons: Madigan
Pens: Madigan
Ospreys fly-half Matthew Morgan kicks a penalty, Ospreys v Northampton Saints, Anglo-Welsh Cup, Brewery Field, Bridgend, Wales, October 22, 2011
Matthew Morgan struck 14 points for the Ospreys
© Getty Images
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: RaboDirect PRO12
Teams: Ireland | Leinster | Ospreys | Wales

The Ospreys overcame a spirited Leinster side 19-10 at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday in a win that took them fifth in the RaboDirect PRO12.

Wing Eli Walker scored the second-half try that ultimately sealed the victory, while outside-half Matthew Morgan kicked 14 points including a late drop-goal which denied Leinster, who had led 10-0 inside 10 minutes, a losing bonus point.

Leinster's points in the first half came through a converted try by Leo Auva'a and a penalty from Ian Madigan.

The Ospreys' win means they leapfrog Leinster into fifth place in the table.

Both sides were without their international stars, with the Ospreys missing Ashley Beck, Dan Biggar, Ryan Bevington, Aaron Jarvis, Richard Hibbard, Ian Evans, Alun Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones and Justin Tipuric.

Andrew Goodman made his Leinster debut at inside centre in a team that showed wholesale changes from the side that defeated Cardiff Blues the weekend before.

Leinster made a positive start and were rewarded with a penalty for Madigan after four minutes. And 3-0 became 10-0 four minutes later when Auva'a slid over, touching down after Rhys Webb had a clearance kick charged down. Madigan also converted.

The Ospreys produced their best move when flanker George Stowers was bundled into touch just shy of the left corner, but they were rewarded for their pressure with a penalty for Morgan on 15 minutes

In torrential rain the home side's improvement continued as Morgan was successful with a second penalty from a Leinster ruck offence.

Leinster soon had the chance to restore a seven-point lead, but Madigan fluffed a penalty shot wide of the left upright from inside the Ospreys 22. At the other end, Morgan put over an injury-time penalty to cut Leinster's lead at half-time to 10-9.

Early second half pressure from the Ospreys was rewarded with a penalty but Morgan missed his shot at goal and Duncan Jones was then sin-binned for being offside at a ruck. From the resulting penalty from halfway Madigan was wide of the mark.

Madigan was close to scoring Leinster's second try but scrum-half Rhys Webb pulled off a fine tackle five metres out. Leinster still looked as if they were going to get a pushover try, but Webb did enough to disrupt the Irish province's ball at the base of the scrum.

The decisive moment of the match then came. From a quick throw-in deep in their own half Richard Fussell went on a brilliant 50-metre run, putting Walker over for a try converted by Morgan to put the Ospreys in front for the first time at 16-10.

And two minutes from time Morgan put over a drop-goal to put the Ospreys two scores ahead at 19-10.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.