Mitchell to decide between 'Tahs and Toulon
April 15, 2013
Drew Mitchell could be in the Top 14 next term © Getty Images
Australia and Waratahs winger Drew Mitchell will decide today whether to sign a two-year deal with Toulon or to stay in Australia.
Reports in France suggest that Mitchell has already agreed to the switch but the winger claims he will decide where to play his rugby next season in the next 24 hours.
"There's been a bit of noise on twitter and what not this morning," Mitchell said. "To be honest I've got a decision to make by tonight. I've got a little bit of thinking to do. I've had an offer by the Waratahs tabled this morning. I guess I've got a few hours to think about it. In all fairness I would have preferred to have a bit more time than that. I guess that's the world we live in.
"I'll try between training sessions today to give it a bit of thought and look at everything that's on the table. Hopefully, I won't drop too many balls at training while I'm thinking about it."
If Mitchell does agree to the Toulon move then he will link-up with friend Matt Giteau. "I've had discussions with Gits," Mitchell added. "The last thing he said to me was I had to make the decision for my own reasons. As much as he would love to have me there he knows I have to be comfortable with the decision."
If Mitchell, who has 63 caps for the Wallabies, does agree to Toulon then the news will come as a massive blow to 'Tahs coach Michael Cheika. But although he wants the winger to stay in Sydney, he could understand his reasons for moving to the Top 14.
"I understand he's got a good offer to go to France," Cheika said. "So he should. He's a high quality player. We've made him an offer in conjunction with the union (ARU) and it will be up to him to decide.
"If I didn't want him to stay, I wouldn't have made him an offer. We have made him a good offer. Hopefully, he'll stay. You never know. I can't criticise blokes for going overseas. I went myself."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.