May 21 down the years
Leinster clinch stunning euro triumph

Leinster claimed the Heineken Cup for the second time with a thrilling 33-22 victory over Northampton at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. The Saints appeared to be cruising after powering to a 22-6 half-time lead thanks to tries from Phil Dowson, Ben Foden and Dylan Hartley. But Leinster fly-half Jonny Sexton orchestrated an unprecedented comeback with two second half tries on his way to a match-winning 28-point haul.

Clive Woodward - the goal-kicker - was the main man for the Lions in their 22-19 win against the South African Invitation XV at Potchefstroom. He kicked four penalties and a conversion, but Mike Slemen's winning try after the ball passed through countless pairs of hands provided the lasting memory of the game.

London Wasps announced that they would be ground-sharing with Wycombe Wanderers Football Club from the start of the following season. At a meeting specially convened by Wycombe District Council (WDC), the decision was taken to give the go ahead for the ground share. Wasps left a ground-share at Loftus Road with QPR die to the club announcing a separate share with Fulham.

A pre-professionalism headache for England as self-employed stockbroker Simon Halliday confirmed he would return home from England's injury-hit Australian tour after the first Test. He originally ruled himself out of the trip because of work commitments but was persuaded to go for the first half of the tour at which time he would be replaced by Will Carling, sitting exams at Durham University. The other possible choice, Jamie Salmon, was about to get married while the uncapped John Buckton sustained concussion in the 22-18 win over Queensland and also returned home.

James Baxter, manager of the British/Irish Lions, attacked the New Zealand wing-forward system after the tourists' opening game of the visit, a 19-3 win against Wanganui.

Mike Campbell-Lamerton's Lions were held to a 6-6 draw by New South Wales. The state side, who lead 6-0 at the interval, had to play with only seven forwards for the last hour after a player is injured in a heavy tackle.

The goal-kicking of Steve Fenwick, who landed three penalty goals, saw the Lions to a narrow 13-11 victory against Hawke's Bay at Napier. The Daily Mirror said the Lions were "a weary, disorganised outfit" and would have lost heavily had Hawke's Bay kicker Murray Tocker not missed seven out of eight attempts.

Wales were outplayed in the second match of their short tour of New Zealand, trounced 38-22 by Wellington at Athletic Park. Skipper Bleddyn Bowen sustained a broken wrist, ruling him out of the tour, and he was replaced as captain by Bob Norster.


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.