Martinez sounds out Mayweather
WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez has set his sights on a clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr next year.
Martinez is currently recovering from a knee injury suffered during his win over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and is expected to return to the ring in May.
Mayweather, meanwhile is yet to announce a fight since being released from prison last month, but a showdown with Manny Pacquiao could be on the cards after the pair reached a settlement in their defamation case this week.
But Martinez, who was a convincing winner against Chavez, is hoping to test his skills against the man widely regarded to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.
"Floyd, you be ready because I am going to find you in 2013. From here to November of 2013, I am going to find you," Martinez said according to ElManana.com.mx.
Meanwhile, it has emerged that Martinez may not need surgery on his injured right knee. The Argentine was due to go under the knife to repair a tear suffered during his win over Chavez, but his adviser Sampson Lewkowicz revealed rehabilitation may be sufficient.
"They did MRI on Monday and the doctor that takes care of Sergio told him he needs another test or another MRI so he can decide if he needs the operation or if he can just go through treatment and rehabilitation," Lewkowicz told ESPN. "Rehab without surgery is a possibility. They will make that decision next week when they get the results of the test."