Defeat not an option for Khan
Amir Khan has admitted that a third consecutive defeat could do serious damage to his career, a realisation that has spurred him on to greater things in the gym ahead of his bout with Carlos Molina.
Khan suffered back-to-back defeats to Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia earlier this year, and knows victory against the unbeaten American in Las Vegas on December 15 is the only way to silence the critics.
"When the fight was put to Carlos Molina he jumped at the fight because a lot of fighters will now think Amir Khan's confidence will not be the same," Khan said.
"But this is the time when I have to prove myself and I will prove myself come December 15. One thing I have never done is taken any fight lightly.
"It has not been a good year, having two defeats. I just have to come back strong and mentally I'm prepared and there aren't going to be any more mistakes."
In the wake of his disappointing set of results, Khan and coach Freddie Roach parted ways, with the 25-year-old teaming up with Virgil Hunter, the American trainer who worked with Andre Ward ahead of his Super Six final victory over Carl Froch.
Undefeated in 17 fights, Molina is renowned for his speed and skill but lacks power and a fight against Khan is considered a significant step up for the Californian.
But Khan, who knows his defence must improve if he is to challenge for major titles once more, recognises the threat Molina poses to his career.
He said: "All unbeaten fighters are dangerous, I know he is going to be up for this fight because it is a step up for him. In a way it is a step up for me because coming back from a defeat I have to win this fight in good fashion."