Groves: Veteran Johnson will be hard to floor
George Groves says he will consider his frustrating year a success if he beats veteran Glen Johnson on Saturday.
Groves has only fought once so far in 2012, in July against Mexican Francisco Sierra, as injury ruled him out of a planned WBO title fight with Robert Stieglitz in May.
This weekend represents another signpost on Groves' path to fighting fellow Briton Carl Froch for his IBF belt next year.
But Froch is not the only target the 24-year-old has in his sights, revealing that he wants to be a 'busy' fighter in 2013.
For now Groves is focused on getting over the line against the 43-year-old Johnson, a man who has only ever been stopped once in 70 career fights, by Bernard Hopkins in 1997.
However after complimenting the Jamaican on his endurance in the ring, Groves made it clear that he sees him as a slugger who will not be causing him any problems at the ExCel.
"I know I may well have to go all the way but I will be trying to make his old legs work by unloading a few big bombs," Groves told the Metro. "I always climb into the ring looking to finish the fight early and I don't see why this should be any different but I am aware it is going to be a big ask.
"I will be able to look back on it  as a success after beating Glen Johnson because that is a step up in class for me and will set me up for a crack at one of the world titles.
"I want to be a busy fighter [in 2013] and I'm happy to go up against the best there is."