• Heavyweight

Purse bid ordered for Klitschko and Povetkin

ESPN staff
April 13, 2013
Wladimir Klitschko will first defend his titles against Francesco Pianeta on May 4 © PA Photos

Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin are set for a summer face-off in the ring after the WBA ordered the purse bid for the mandatory heavyweight fight.

The bid will take place on April 23 at the WBA offices in Marbella, Panama with the minimum amount to participate being set at $1 million. WBA executive vice-president Gilberto Jesus Mendoza will direct the auction.

The fight is set to take place between July 15 and August 31 at the latest, with Klitschko defending his titles against Francesco Pianeta in Germany on May 4.

Unbeaten Povetkin is expected to defend his WBA world heavyweight title in Russia in May, although his opponent has yet to be announced.

Super-champion Klitschko will receive 75% of the purse with the remaining 25% being designated to regular champion Povetkin.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.