Froch unlikely to fight Hopkins after Kessler
Carl Froch is unlikely to ever share the same ring as Bernard Hopkins, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.
Froch is currently gearing up for a high profile rematch with Mikkel Kessler, the man who inflicted his first career defeat. Revenge in the May 25 sequel might just prove the Brit's greatest moment.
Victory would also guarantee Froch a list of lucrative options for his next bout, and legendary 48-year-old Hopkins - the oldest world champion in history - said last week he wanted to meet the tireless Nottingham fighter.
"Froch is top of my wish list," Hopkins said in the Daily Mail. "I have great respect for him as a fighter. He is very exciting and our styles would make for a great fight.
"I will happily go over to the UK to make it happen but of course Carl will have to beat Kessler first. I am rooting for him to do it and I think he will win this time."
Promoter Hearn is less keen though, pointing out the size difference between the two men. Froch operates at super-middleweight while Hopkins has operated at light-heavyweight for the past seven years.
Froch has always spoken of his own desire to avenge defeat against Kessler and then go after the other man to beat him - Andre Ward - and Hearn appears to be more focused on that particular career path.
"It's flattering," Hearn said of Hopkins' comments. "Hopkins understands the value of a fight with Froch, but I don't think Carl needs to fight at catchweight.
"Nathan Cleverly has already called him out but Carl walks around just above 12st and he'd be at a big disadvantage.
"I wouldn't say it's a fight I wouldn't make but it's not one that immediately jumps out at me. We'll see how Carl gets on against Kessler and we'll see which big fights appeal."