Magee shocked by failed drugs test
Former interim super-middleweight champion Brian Magee is hoping to bounce back quickly after being banned for six months for a failed drugs test.
Magee tested positive for the banned stimulant oxilofrine - the same drug that was recently found in Asafa Powell's system - in the aftermath of his defeat to Mikkel Kessler in December, a loss that saw him lose his WBA belt.
The 38-year-old faced a two-year ban from the sport for his infraction, but that was reduced to six months after he successfully proved that he had ingested the substance unwittingly.
Magee found that oxilofrine was an unlisted ingredient in a sports supplement he had been taking.
"I was in total shock when I was told I had tested positive, and I honestly thought someone was playing a joke," Magee said. "All I could think was I could get a lifetime ban or even a two-year ban which at my age would have meant my career was as good as over.
"I have had 30 or 40 tests in my career and never tested positive. I have always been extremely careful about everything I have taken, and I didn't do anything differently before the Kessler fight."
Having voluntary banned himself from action after discovering his infringement in a letter to UK Anti-Doping dated January 30, Magee's ban was backdated to that start point - meaning his suspension will be completed on July 29.
The Northern Irishman is looking forward to resuming his career.
"I've already got back in the gym and I can't wait to fight again," he added. "I haven't had any bad beatings and I think there are still a number of big fights out there for me."