I will fight DeGale again - Groves
George Groves has performed a U-turn by admitting that he will fight James DeGale again in the future.
Groves snatched DeGale's British super-middleweight belt by recording a narrow points victory on Saturday, in the process recording his second career victory over DeGale, having previously triumphed in the amateur ranks.
After their pro meeting at the O2 Arena, Groves apparently poured cold water on DeGale's hopes of an immediate rematch, commenting: "How many times do I have to beat this guy?".
But now, with DeGale's promoter Frank Warren calling for the pair to meet again, Groves has softened his stance. "We will fight one day for the world title but it won't be this year," the 23-year-old Commonwealth Champion told BBC London 94.9. "I'm not ready for a world title but in 18 months time I will be."
Although Groves was awarded the victory by just one round, he is adamant that his win was a more comprehensive one than the scorecards suggested. "He's saying we nicked it. We didn't nick it, I out-boxed him," Groves said. "I could have done it much better."
While DeGale faces the prospect of rebuilding his reputation over the next year, Groves is turning his attention to a world title shot. "I'm hoping to be at the elite level of world class with Carl Froch, and Andre Ward and those names," he said.
"I want to be there and I want to stay there, I don't just want to challenge and be forgotten about."
Meanwhile, DeGale has revealed he will be back in action during September, providing his eye injury heals in time.