Ospreys 33-16 Edinburgh, Magners League, December 4
Ospreys sweep Edinburgh aside
ESPNscrum Staff
December 4, 2010
Report Match details
Date/Time: Dec 4, 2010, 18:30 local, 18:30 GMT
Venue: Liberty Stadium, Swansea
Ospreys 33 - 16 Edinburgh
Half-time: 22 - 9
Tries: Fussell, Tipuric
Cons: Biggar
Pens: Biggar 6
Drops: Biggar
Tries: Visser
Cons: DW Blair
Pens: DW Blair 2, Paterson
The Ospreys' Justin Tipuric is tackled by Edinburgh's David Bishop, Ospreys v Edinburgh, Magners League, Liberty Stadium, Swansea, Wales, December 4, 2010
The Ospreys' Justin Tipuric is tackled by Edinburgh's David Bishop
© PA Photos
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: Magners League
Teams: Edinburgh | Ospreys

The Ospreys moved into the Magners League play-off places with a commanding 33-16 victory over Edinburgh at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday evening.

Flanker Justin Tipuric and winger Richard Fussell both touched down for the home side, while fly-half Dan Biggar contributed 23 points with the boot. Edinburgh managed a late consolation try through Tim Visser but they left Swansea empty handed.

The Ospreys welcomed back skipper Alun Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Andrew Bishop and Nikki Walker from the autumn internationals to their starting line-up, while the region had a replacements bench packed full of internationals likes Adam Jones, Mike Phillips, James Hook and Tommy Bowe.

The severe weather meant home referees officiated this weekend's Magners League games but how Edinburgh would have preferred a neutral arbiter because James Jones awarded the Ospreys seven of the first eight penalties. Five of those were converted by Dan Biggar, one from close to the halfway line, as the Ospreys opened up a 15-3 lead in the first quarter. Mr Jones eventually had to warn Edinburgh for committing a string of offences at the breakdown.

Edinburgh did have their own penalty goal kicked by Chris Paterson, who had to go off before the end of the first half with a dead leg.

The Ospreys' early lead was then boosted by a try for blindside flanker Tipuric, who was put away down the right flank by prop Duncan Jones. The 21-year-old loose forward chipped ahead and beat the cover defence to touch down. Biggar converted to extend the Ospreys lead to 22-3 on 24 minutes.

Edinburgh reduced the deficit to 13 points by half-time with two David Blair penalties and the Ospreys suffered a blow early in the second half when Ryan Jones was yellow carded for a dangerous tackle on Mike Blair.

However, despite being down a man the Ospreys grabbed the first points of the half when Biggar converted his sixth penalty. And, after the Ospreys introduced their big guns, Phillips, Hook and Adam Jones, they enjoyed a territorial advantage.

Though they initially failed to get a second try, Biggar increased his points tally to 23 points with a drop goal on the hour mark. And with Edinburgh themselves reduced to 14 players with Alex Grove's 68th-minute sin-binning, the Ospreys crossed the line but replacement number eight Jonathan Thomas was held up. However, the try soon came with a quickly taken penalty which saw wing Fussell go over in the left corner.

With the game over as a contest Edinburgh's Tim Visser went over for a consolation converted try in the final minute after Ian Gough became the third player to be shown a yellow card.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - United States GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open