Edinburgh 28-17 Glasgow Warriors, Magners League, January 2
Edinburgh battle past Glasgow
ESPNscrum Staff
January 2, 2011
Report Match details
Date/Time: Jan 2, 2011, 17:35 local, 17:35 GMT
Venue: Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Edinburgh 28 - 17 Glasgow
Half-time: 15 - 11
Tries: Talei, Thompson, Visser
Cons: DW Blair 2
Pens: DW Blair 3
Tries: Harley
Pens: Gregor 2, Jackson 2
Edinburgh wing Tim Visser is congratulated after his second try, Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors, Magners League, Murrayfield, Edinburgh, Scotland, January 2, 2011
Edinburgh winger Tim Visser scored a fine try in Sunday's derby clash at Murrayfield
© PA Photos
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: Magners League
Teams: Edinburgh | Glasgow

Edinburgh made amends for last week's defeat to Glasgow as they ended their rivals' four-game winning streak with a 28-17 triumph at Murrayfield on Sunday evening.

Their success came thanks to two outstanding tries from Netani Talei and Tim Visser, with James Thompson adding a late third and David Blair kicking the rest of their points.

Glasgow scored one try, another memorable effort from Robert Harley, while Ruaridh Jackson and Colin Gregor kicked two penalties each. Jackson, though, missed a conversion and two penalties in the first half.

Glasgow made the better start, dominating the opening stages that produced two early penalties driven home from distance by Jackson. However, the second 10 minutes of the game yielded two stunning tries from the home side that propelled them into a 12-6 lead by the 20-minute mark.

Magners League top try scorer Visser had a hand in both. The first stemmed from a lineout with Visser coming off his wing to carve up centre field before putting No.8 Talei under the bar for Blair to convert.

Seven minutes, later Talei attacked off a scrum in his own half and the flowing move ended with Visser, who had never previously scored against Glasgow, touching down for his ninth of the season. Blair was off target with the conversion on this occasion.

Glasgow had the better of the period up to half time, clawing back five points through a fine touchdown by their find of the season, flanker Harley, who finished a move involving No.8 Richie Vernon and centre Max Evans. However Jackson could not kick the none-too-difficult conversion and also subsequently failed with two penalties.

His opposite number Blair showed him how to do it as the clock passed the 32-minute mark so Edinburgh went in leading 15-11 at the interval.

The quality of rugby fell away after the restart and it was Edinburgh that benefited as Glasgow were repeatedly penalised by referee Neil Paterson. This kept Glasgow pinned in their half and two Blair penalties widened the gap to 21-11.

Glasgow found another gear in the closing stages, though, with the pressure rewarded with a pair of penalties from Gregor that made for a tight finish until Thompson's breakaway in stoppage time settled the issue.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.