Ospreys 37-6 Glasgow Warriors, Magners League, March 5
Ospreys move up to second
ESPNscrum Staff
March 5, 2011
Report Match details
Date/Time: Mar 5, 2011, 17:30 local, 17:30 GMT
Venue: Liberty Stadium, Swansea
Ospreys 37 - 6 Glasgow
Half-time: 17 - 6
Tries: Beck, Biggar, Collins, Smith, Penalty
Cons: Biggar 3
Pens: Biggar
Drops: Biggar
Pens: Weir 2
Dan Biggar scored a try and kicked 12 points for the Ospreys
© Getty Images
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: Magners League
Teams: Glasgow | Ospreys

The Ospreys secured their second consecutive Magners League bonus-point victory with an impressive 37-6 win over Glasgow at the Liberty Stadium.

The five tries to nil win saw the Welsh region reclaim second place in the table, following up their win over Connacht the previous weekend. A penalty try and a try for outside-half Dan Biggar, part of his 17-point haul, were followed in the second half by Tom Smith, Ashley Beck and Jerry Collins.

The defending champions were without a total of 17 players on international duty or on the injury list, while Glasgow were also minus a clutch of Scotland players but were able to name the same side which drew with the Dragons last week.

Right from the start, when Duncan Weir put his kick off straight into touch, the Ospreys more than edged the opening quarter, a dominance that was based on a big scrum and some lively players behind such as man-of-the-match scrum-half Rhys Webb and centres Beck and Sonny Parker. And the Ospreys scrum was so dominant that they had earned a penalty try on only eight minutes after Glasgow had infringed at three consecutive five-metre scrums.

A Biggar drop-goal stretched the home lead to 10-0 before the fly-half himself sidestepped his way over after an incisive break by Webb. But just as the Ospreys looked as if they were going to run away with victory, the Warriors came back with two Weir penalties in the space of as many minutes.

The Scotsmen should have had two tries before the interval but wing DTH van der Merwe and centre Peter Murchie got over the line but failed to ground the ball. First Beck turned van der Merwe and then Hanno Dirksen prevented Murchie.

It took the Ospreys just six minutes of the second half to extend their 17-6 interval lead, the home side going through the phases before Webb put flanker Smith over for the score. And five minutes later Biggar slotted over his first penalty to take the Ospreys' lead to 21 points.

The Ospreys were given a further lift when British and Irish Lions prop Adam Jones came on for the final 21 minutes for his first rugby since injuring his elbow two months ago. The Ospreys finished with a flourish, bringing up the bonus point with a length-of-the-field try started by replacement wing Tom Isaacs and finished off by Beck.

A drive from a line-out saw replacement No. 8 Jerry Collins go over for the fifth try three minutes from time.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - United States GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open