• England Cricket

Swann: Warne comparisons a 'wind-up'

ESPN staff
May 31, 2012
Graeme Swann: 'Around 99% of the people who tried to copy what Shane Warne did have failed miserably' © Getty Images

Graeme Swann insists Shane Warne's ability to "run through a whole team with a mango" makes him the greatest bowler of all time - and for that reason, the England spinner has laughed off comparisons with his Australian counterpart.

Earlier this week, England bowling coach David Saker mentioned the two in the same breath when he said, "[seamer Glenn] McGrath and Warne in tandem were amazing, but I've seen spells from Jimmy and Swanny that have been just as good - or better."

While Swann has shown humility having been likened to Warne, he does feel that Anderson deserves to be discussed on McGrath's level.

"Not many people will be aware the England bowling coach is good mates with Shane Warne, and although flattery will normally get him everywhere, in this instance I know it's a wind-up," Swann told the Mirror.

"I'm sure the comments will find their way back to Warnie and they will have a good giggle about it over the barbecue. To me, Warne is the greatest bowler of all time because he could run though a whole team with a mango, so to be compared with him is complimentary and faintly embarrassing - and I'm not arrogant enough to accept it.

"Around 99% of the people who tried to copy what he did have failed miserably, and the other 1% have given up and failed miserably after two years. Jimmy is far more deserving of the coach's accolade because he's in his pomp - in my opinion the best swing bowler in the world - and in that respect he does deserve comparison with greats like McGrath."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.