English Rugby
England suffer double injury blow
October 2, 2009
Tom Rees of Wasps pictured during the Guinness Premiership match between London Wasps and Gloucester at Adams Park in High Wycombe, England on May 4, 2008
Tom Rees has undergone another procedure on his injured shoulder © Getty Images

England's preparations for their November Test series have taken a blow with the news that Wasps duo Tom Rees and Danny Cipriani have both suffered major injury setbacks.

Openside Rees has undergone a second shoulder surgery in three months, continuing a terrible run of luck. He is yet to play this season after being handed the Wasps captaincy and now faces a further four months on the sidelines.

Cipriani is out for six weeks after sustaining a hairline fracture to his right fibula during last weekend's Guinness Premiership victory over Northampton. Cipriani was named in the England Saxons squad by Martin Johnson earlier this year, but was one of a number of players pushing to fill the void at fullback left by Delon Armitage's untimely shoulder injury.

Cipriani began his career with Wasps at fullback and scored a try from the position last weekend. England will now have to consider their options ahead of their opening Test match, against the Wallabies at Twickenham on November 7.

"Following extensive consultations between Tom, the medical team at London Wasps, the club's orthopaedic team, and the England medical team, it was decided this week that further surgery was required to give Tom optimal results for recovery," said a Wasps statement. "Sustaining a tear to the labrum (shoulder), Tom underwent surgery in July, but it was felt that to preserve the longevity of his career an additional surgical procedure was to be undertaken.

"This surgery has been completed this week, and it is likely that he will now be sidelined for at least a four-month period as he works through his rehabilitation.

"Following a contusion to his knee in Wasps' Guinness Premiership clash with Northampton last Sunday, further investigations have shown that Danny has a small hairline fracture in his right fibula head. This was a direct result of sustaining a blow during the fixture. Danny has remained on crutches, and will do so until further notice. The club will be working towards a six-week return to play."

© Scrum.com

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.