Heineken Cup
Munster battle past Sale
October 19, 2008
Date/Time: Oct 19, 2008, 13:00 local, 12:00 GMT
Venue: Edgeley Park, Stockport
Sale Sharks 16 - 24 Munster
Half-time: 6 - 13
Tries: Schofield
Cons: McAlister
Pens: McAlister 3
Tries: Wallace, Warwick
Cons: O'Gara
Pens: O'Gara 2
Drops: O'Gara, Warwick
Munster's David Wallace scores a try against Sale Sharks in their Heineken Cup clash at Edgeley Park on October 19, 2008
Munster's David Wallace touches down for a try
© Getty Images

Munster produced a vintage performance to beat Sale Sharks 24-16 in their Heineken Cup Pool 1 clash.

David Wallace touched down with 14 minutes remaining to hand holders Munster victory after Sale staged a brave second-half fightback at Edgeley Park.

Munster led 13-6 at the break and looked to be in total control but the Sharks hit back and the scores were locked at 16-16 when the Limerick-born flanker crossed in the right corner to edge the visitors back in front. The Magners League outfit were forced to play out the remaining eight minutes with 14 men after centre Lifeimi Mafi was sin-binned for a high tackle on Sharks replacement Mathew Tait.

That made for a fraught ending but the reigning European champions - who beat Toulouse at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium in last season's final - had the final say when Ronan O'Gara claimed a drop-goal from distance to leave the visitors home and dry. The Irishmen confirmed their pedigree with a stellar first-half display which should have reaped far greater reward than a try from full-back Paul Warwick.

A 13-6 interval advantage in the visitors' favour did scant justice to their dominance of a Sale side who could not back up their impressive demolition of Clermont Auvergne. The manner of the Sharks' 32-15 success in France last weekend - when they outscored last season's French Championship runners-up 4-0 on tries - was supposed to be a major statement of their title intent.

However, the Guinness Premiership outfit were second-best throughout the opening 40 minutes and struggled to cope with Munster's marauding backline. O'Gara and Tomas O'Leary dovetailed effectively and their potent half-back partnership offered the likes of Keith Earls and Mafi the opportunity to showcase their running skills from deep.

Sale began encouragingly enough - Luke McAlister missed a penalty and then converted one to put his side 3-0 ahead after three minutes - but Munster soon began to move through the gears. A penalty from O'Gara drew them level in the 11th minute and five minutes later they conjured a delightful try which saw O'Gara find Alan Quinlan with a neat short offload to his left and he in turn found Warwick who crossed in the corner.

O'Gara added the extras and Munster threatened to run riot with a series of outstanding moves from the middle of the park. In the 20th minute, a brilliant long-range drop-goal from Warwick extended their lead and then came close to doing likewise with another similar effort which fell just short.

McAlister's second penalty kept Sale in contention at 13-6 at half-time and the in-form Kiwi's brilliant dummy and underarm offload almost put Neil Briggs clear shortly before the break. Another penalty from O'Gara extended Munster's lead shortly after the restart but Sale were undaunted and they drew level by the 57th minute.

First, McAlister's third penalty cut the deficit by three points and then excellent work from Chris Jones allowed Dean Schofield to bustle clear for a try which McAlister converted. O'Gara then missed a penalty but he orchestrated the move which Wallace finished off and although O'Gara could not convert the try - and Mafi was sent to the bin in the 72nd minute - Munster held firm.

The influential O'Gara claimed a late drop-goal as Munster ended the game strongly in front of a bumper crowd of 10,928 - Sale's biggest-ever attendance.

Sale: Faure, Briggs, Roberts, Chabal, Cockbain, C. Jones, Abraham, Fernandez Lobbe, Peel, Wigglesworth, Doherty, Keil, McAlister, Cueto, Lamont.

Replacements: M. Jones for Briggs (44), Turner for Roberts (66), White for Chabal (54), Schofield for Cockbain (50), M. Tait for C. Jones (68), Hodgson for Peel (44). Not Used: Bell.

Munster: Horan, Flannery, Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Quinlan, O'Sullivan, Wallace, O'Leary, O'Gara, Dowling, Mafi, Earls, Howlett, Warwick, Melck.

Replacements: Ryan for Quinlan (63), Melck for O'Sullivan (52), Murphy for Melck (75). Not Used: Fogarty, Pucciariello, Stringer, D. Hurley.

Sin Bin: Mafi (72).

Man of the Match: David Wallace (Munster)

Att: 10,928

Ref: C Berdos (France).

© Scrum.com

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - German GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open