On Thursday it was announced that Sutil had regained the Force India drive he lost at the end of 2011 to Nico Hulkenberg. He was forced to spend a year on the sidelines in 2012 and his career looked in trouble after he was convicted of grievous bodily harm following an incident in a nightclub in Shanghai. Hamilton was present at the nightclub but did not testify in court.
The pair had been friends during their career, but Sutil said he now has no relationship with Hamilton and does not know what will happen when they meet again.
"I'm not in contact with him any more so we have no relationship at the moment," Sutil said." I've not seen him, I've not spoken to him. For sure I will meet up with him, but I don't know what will happen."
However, Hamilton said he had tried to get in touch with Sutil when he found out his old friend was in with a chance of returning to F1.
"I emailed him a couple of times," he said. "I emailed him a while ago because I heard there was a potential chance he'd be getting a seat and I said I'd say a prayer for him and that I really hoped he gets it because he deserves to be back in Formula One. I emailed him as soon as I found out [he had the drive] and just said congratulations to him."
Hamilton said he was looking forward to seeing Sutil again this year when their paths cross in the paddock.
"I'm looking forward to it because I haven't seen him for a while. I called him ages ago and got his friend on the phone, who is one of our good friends and he kind of intervened. Otherwise, I think it's a great opportunity for him and I really wish him the best for the year and in the message I said 'I hope you go out there and prove to everyone that they made the right decision'."