• Premier League

Balotelli forced to flee fire in his bathroom

October 22, 2011
Mario Balotelli - firestarter © PA Photos

Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli has escaped unhurt after a firework went off in his bathroom.

Two fire engines were sent to the home of the 21-year-old Italy international in Mottram St Andrew, Macclesfield, in the early hours of Saturday morning after the alarm was raised.

They found a fire in the bathroom on the first floor of the detached property.

Four firefighters arrived wearing breathing apparatus and used two hose reel water jets to douse the flames, and a large fan was deployed to clear smoke.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews managed to put the fire out within half an hour of arriving but remained at the scene until 2.45am to prevent any possible flare-ups.

"Smoke alarms were fitted at the property and the occupiers were able to get out unharmed. The fire was caused by a firework.''

The cause of the blaze is being examined by fire investigators and police but is not being treated as suspicious.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.