Beckham coy as Monaco confirm interest
LA Galaxy midfielder David Beckham has played down new speculation linking him to AS Monaco, despite the French club admitting they are interested in signing him.
Beckham's future is currently the subject of much speculation, with the 37-year-old set to depart Galaxy following Saturday's MLS Cup final against Houston Dynamo.
Clubs from around the world have been linked with a move for the former England international - with Ligue 2 side Monaco the latest to be strongly tipped to secure Beckham's signature.
Beckham denied there had been any contact with the principality club, however, when asked about it on Thursday.
"I heard about Monaco on the way to training this morning from a friend in London who said 'I hear you are going to Monaco'. That was the first I'd heard of that," said Beckham.
"I've got some interesting and exciting options on the table.
"I am very flattered by some of the options that I've got. I still feel I can play and I'm not considering retiring."
Despite Beckham's claims, Monaco chief executive Tor-Kristian Karlsen hinted that early talks with the player's agents had started.
Monaco currently reside in France's second tier but have the financial resources to potentially tempt Beckham, thanks to billionaire Russian owner Dmitry Rybolovlev.
Former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri is currently in charge at the club, while Frank Lampard has previously been linked with a move to the Stade Louis II. And the club would be interested in adding Beckham to their playing squad.
"We are happy with our current squad but if there's a chance to get a player of Beckham's stature, we'd be foolish not to explore it," Karlsen told the BBC. "Right now we're trying to learn if Beckham's future ambitions are in sync with ours.
"I understand he's high in demand but it's natural for a player with his experience and quality. Let's see what the next few weeks bring.
"It's a privilege to be linked with world-renowned players like Beckham."