• Premier League

Wenger reveals transfer 'work' to do

ESPN staff
January 24, 2013
Arsene Wenger may be eyeing new recruits © Getty Images

Arsene Wenger shut down his post-match press conference early in order "to do some work" in the transfer market following Arsenal's 5-1 thrashing of West Ham on Wednesday.

Wenger watched on as his side dismantled the Hammers, scoring four goals in ten minutes as they moved to within one point of fifth-placed Everton in the Premier League standings.

However, when pressed on whether the win negated the need to sign any new players before the end of January, a cagey Wenger suggested there was still work to be done.

Asked whether there were any updates, Wenger said: "No. That is why I have to shorten the press conference, because I have to do some work."

Prior to that, the Frenchman revealed his delight over the Gunners' performance after coming from a goal down to claim three points in emphatic style.

"We got a good response," he said. "West Ham were dangerous in the first half and from set-pieces. In the second half we created chance after chance.

"I thought it was an interesting test (at 1-0). I couldn't predict we would score five, it was vital to equalise before half-time. It was a repetition of the game at West Ham when we were 1-0 down. Everybody can score against everybody.

"I never felt that the players didn't know how important it is. I was worried they were sometimes a bit inhibited.

"Podolski was outstanding. He has an unbelievable shot, the 'keeper had no chance. It was new for us, we scored from a corner.

"I still believe (the left) is his best position. Yes, (he had one of his best games), he was also very good in the away game at West Ham."

Meanwhile, Wenger's West Ham counterpart, Sam Allardyce, confirmed defender Daniel Potts was taken to hospital for the night after he was knocked out following a heavy collision with Bacary Sagna.

"Potts has gone straight to hospital with concussion, he was unable to give the correct answers to the questions [from the doctors]," Allardyce explained.

"He hit the floor as a dead weight, was out for a few seconds and was not fully conscious when he came off.

"He was able to answer questions, but not in the right way, and they have protected his neck.

"We were concerned at how long it took. But they have to make sure they protect the spine the right way getting them on the stretcher, that is why it took the time it did."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.