• Motherwell 4-1 Hibernian

Motherwell fire four past Hibs

ESPN staff
March 15, 2013
James McFadden is mobbed by Motherwell team-mates as they superbly fought back from a goal down © PA Photos

A James McFadden-inspired Motherwell overcame an early Hibernian goal before comprehensively outplaying their opponents to guarantee their place in the top six.

Tom Taiwo's strike gave Hibs a half-time lead their play scarcely deserved but a fabulous second half from the home side, which produced goals for Michael Higdon, McFadden, Kallum Higginbotham and Tom Hateley, sealed an emphatic win.

McFadden started wide on the right in place of the injured Chris Humphrey and the Scotland international was involved in everything, giving the Hibs defence a torrid 90 minutes.

After only three minutes McFadden's inviting cross was headed over by Higdon. He then sent a neat flick to Henrik Ojamaa in behind the Hibs defence but his deflected shot was blocked at the foot of the left-hand post by Ben Williams.

With 11 minutes played a swerving free-kick from Hateley almost deceived the keeper, who dived low to his right to block the shot and was relieved as the ball rebounded off the surprised Shaun Hutchinson and past the post.

Despite having been on the receiving end, Hibs took the lead with virtually their first attack after 23 minutes.

David Wotherspoon curled the ball in from the right and Taiwo, six yards in front of goal, stooped to send a header past Darren Randolph.

Motherwell suffered another setback three minutes later when captain Keith Lasley limped off to be replaced by Stuart Carswell.

And within minutes Hibs should have increased their agony when James McPake rose unchallenged to meet Leigh Griffiths corner, only to head the ball into the side netting.

However, the home side regained their composure and their attacking threat, and just before half-time a quickly taken free kick from McFadden sent Ojamaa scurrying towards the goal line before laying the ball off to Hateley, whose low drive flashed across the goal and narrowly past.

Motherwell restarted the second half with another casualty in midfield, Adam Cummins having to replace Nicky Law.

However, the loss did not seem to affect the home side and three minutes into the half the two teams were level.

McFadden's first cross from the right was blocked but at the second attempt he floated the ball into the six yard box, where Higdon powerfully headed it high beyond Williams.

There was no stopping Well or McFadden as the home side took the lead after 53 minutes.

Collecting the ball just outside the box, McFadden side-stepped Matt Done before sweeping a left-foot shot into the corner of the net for his first goal since his return to the club.

At the other end Griffiths, who had been well shackled by Hutchinson, finally managed an effort at goal but his overhead kick was comfortably saved by Randolph.

Hibs' leading scorer was then shown how to do it as Motherwell made it 3-1 after 66 minutes.

Carswell chased a pass from Ojamaa into the right hand corner before calmly picking out Higginbotham at the other side of the box. The on-loan striker, with a wonderfully executed bicycle kick, sent the ball back across Williams for a fabulous finish and his first for Well.

That wrapped up the points but Motherwell managed to add a fourth goal six minutes from time. Once again McFadden was the provider rolling the ball in front of Hateley, whose drive from 22 yard took a slight deflection off McPake before flashing past Hibs keeper Williams.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.