• Kilmarnock 1-3 Hibernian, SPL

Doyle does the job for Hibs

ESPN staff
May 15, 2013
Eoin Doyle was the hero for Hibernian © PA Photos

Eoin Doyle grabbed a late double as Hibernian secured a 3-1 win over Kilmarnock in their rearranged Scottish Premier League game.

Scott Robertson's early opener was cancelled out when Lee Ashcroft levelled for Killie, before Doyle claimed a brace in the final stages of the match.

The original meeting between the two sides was abandoned ten days earlier when a Kilmarnock supporter collapsed in the stands with a suspected heart attack and later died in hospital.

Killie named a youthful side for this clash, while Hibs made six changes from their derby win over Hearts.

With a Scottish Cup final looming later this month, star man Leigh Griffiths was absent from the squad and goalkeeper Sean Murdoch made his debut between the sticks.

There was a minute of applause as a tribute to the fan, Jim Haswell, ahead of the kick-off at Rugby Park.

Once the match was under way, Hibs needed just 10 minutes to open the scoring after enjoying much of the possession in the opening exchanges.

A Lewis Stevenson free-kick was nodded on by Jordan Forster for Robertson at the back post and he stabbed home from close range to claim his first goal for the club.

Robertson injured himself in the process, clattering into opposition goalkeeper Cammy Ball, but was able to continue after receiving treatment.

At the other end, Rory McKenzie tried his luck with a shot from the edge of the area, which had plenty of power behind it but dipped just over the crossbar.

The home side then suffered a setback when Ross Barbour was carried off injured after 34 minutes and he was replaced by James Fowler.

Robertson had the ball in the net again five minutes before the interval but the effort was disallowed after he was deemed to have used an arm to control the ball.

Kilmarnock tried to haul themselves back into the game after the restart and an Ashcroft header forced Murdoch into action.

The stadium erupted into applause again on the 54th minute - the moment on May 5 when Jim Haswell collapsed during the original fixture.

On the park, David Wotherspoon's left-foot shot fizzed just past the post for Hibs, before Killie restored parity after 57 minutes.

Chris Johnston whipped a corner into the box and Ashcroft connected to send a looping header beyond the grasp of the Hibs goalkeeper.

Killie pushed for a second goal and substitute Borja Perez saw his shot crash off the post, before Paul Heffernan screwed the rebound over the crossbar.

Hibs then had a goal disallowed for a second time in this match, with referee Craig Charleston ruling that Doyle's header was offside.

The visitors could have snatched the win when Alex Harris supplied a decent cross for Doyle but he nodded just wide of target.

The points did, indeed, go to Easter Road when Doyle pounced on a low cross from the right from Harris and slid home with five minutes to go.

Doyle then struck again in the final minute to make sure of the victory when he lashed home from 12 yards.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.