• SPL round-up

Hibernian grab victory over Dundee

ESPN staff
May 18, 2013
Leigh Griffiths was on the winning side for Hibernian against Dundee © Getty Images

Hibernian clinched seventh place in the Scottish Premier League after they defeated Dundee 1-0, while St Mirren defeated Kilmarnock 3-1 with Aberdeen and Hearts sharing the spoils in a 1-1 draw.

David Wotherspoon's goal for Hibernian ensured they go into the William Hill Scottish Cup final on the back of three consecutive victories after beating Dundee 1-0.

The substitute guided home a powerful header in the 79th minute to complete a decent day's work for Hibs, who avoided any obvious injuries eight days before their Hampden encounter with Celtic.

Leigh Griffiths, who this week won the Clydesdale Bank and Scottish Football Writers' player of the year awards, started as Pat Fenlon brought back seven players who were rested for the midweek win at Kilmarnock.

Before the goal, the biggest cheer of the afternoon came in the 73rd minute when the 22-year-old left the field having played his final game at Easter Road before he returns to Wolves following almost two years on loan.

The Scotland international came close on several occasions to adding to his season tally of 28 goals, which persuaded Wolves to take up their option of extending his contract by a year.

Griffiths had his first good chance in the 25th minute when Dundee lost the ball after Declan Gallagher had taken it out of defence. Jorge Claros quickly found Alex Harris as Hibs had a three against two advantage in the final third.

The teenager picked out Griffiths in space just inside the box but the forward went for power and his shot was straight at Steve Simonsen, who stopped it with two hands before Gary Irvine blocked the striker's follow-up.

Former Dundee striker Griffiths went off to a standing ovation from all corners of the ground, the away fans having chanted his name throughout.

The game looked to be drifting to a goalless conclusion but Hibs got the morale boost they were looking for when Wotherspoon ran in from the right to meet Stevenson's driven cross and guide the ball into the far corner from 15 yards.

Aberdeen and Hearts defied the weather to serve up an entertaining match despite ending their campaigns with a 1-1 draw.

The home side had the better of the game but fell behind to Ryan Stevenson's header before Jamie Hamill's own goal ensured a share of the points.

Kilmarnock were on the receiving end of a 3-1 score line as they were beaten by St Mirren. John McGinn put St Mirren into the lead, but Kris Boyd equalised five minutes later in the 25th minute.

However, two goals 15 minutes from time from Paul McGowan and Conor Newton sealed the points for St Mirren.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.