- Serie A news
Napoli striker Cavani puts future talks on hold
Napoli striker Edinson Cavani will discuss his future with the club once he has returned to Italy after taking a break following the Confederations Cup.
Cavani, Serie A's top scorer last season with 29 goals, is attracting interest from top European clubs including Manchester City and Chelsea.
The 26-year-old Uruguay international, who scored a brace against Italy in the Confederations Cup's third-place play-off on Sunday, said now was not the right time to discuss his future.
He will hold discussions with Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis in the coming weeks and told Rai Sport television. "We know that whatever I say will be misinterpreted, so I'll talk [about my future] further down the line.
"For now, I send the city of Napoli and all Neapolitans my greetings - Forza Napoli!"
De Laurentiis has said Cavani will be going nowhere unless a release clause in his contract, reported to be €65 million, is met. "If nobody should reach that, then Cavani will happily stay at Napoli," he told Gazzetta dello Sport last week.
He tweeted his congratulations to the player for his goals against Italy, describing them as "great" and adding: "Well done Edy!"
City are the only club to have made an official approach for the striker, who has scored more than 100 goals for Napoli in just three seasons - but De Laurentiis said their offer was "insufficient".
Cavani's contract with Napoli, whom he joined from Palermo in 2010, runs until 2016, although he said earlier this summer that he would be tempted by a fresh challenge. "I'm ready for a big club," he told Marca.