- Premier League
Moyes urges Everton to sell Fellaini and Baines
Manchester United manager David Moyes has urged his former side Everton to let Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines leave the club after a bid was rejected for the pair during the week.
Moyes has been working hard to add strength to his squad, with the ex-Everton boss heading back to his old club to bring Fellaini and Baines to Old Trafford.
However, the £28 million offer was met with scorn by those associated with the Toffees, with former Everton keeper Neville Southall accusing Moyes of lacking respect by lodging a bid so far below the accepted value of the duo.
Moyes insists he remains on good terms with his old chairman Bill Kenwright and that he had never disrespected Everton.
"There's a mixed market at the moment," said Moyes. "Nobody's quite sure where the price is just now.
"We've had offers for players which we think are quite small. I can see where other clubs might be thinking there's not enough value for their players as well.
"I definitely [have sympathy for Martinez]. But I also know if I had been Everton manager and Sir Alex [Ferguson] had come asking for Baines and Fellaini I'd have found it very difficult to keep them.
"I always thought the right thing to do was the right thing for players. Roberto is new in his job and I'm sure he'll get to understand how Everton work.
"I respect Everton greatly and speak with Bill Kenwright most weeks. Of course taking their players is going to affect them but there is not any disrespect whatsoever because we didn't make the offer public."
Meanwhile, Moyes hinted that want-away striker Wayne Rooney could return to the starting XI for Monday's game against Chelsea.
Rooney, United and Chelsea have been locked in one of the transfer sagas of the summer, with the Red Devils expected to reject a third offer from the Blues for the 27-year-old.
Rooney also missed most of the club's pre-season after suffering a number of injuries, but after playing for England, and then featuring in United's opening win against Swansea, Moyes believes the striker could start against Jose Mourinho's men.
"Wayne has recovered and has a good chance of starting," Moyes told reporters.