• Capital One Cup, Second Round

Liverpool survive County scare, Palace dumped out

ESPN staff
August 27, 2013
Raheem Sterling opened the scoring for Liverpool with a brilliant solo effort © PA Photos

Daniel Sturridge scored twice as Liverpool survived a major scare against Notts County at Anfield to book their place in the third round of the Capital One Cup.

The Reds opened the scoring in the fourth minute through a fine solo effort from Raheem Sterling. Sturridge then made the most of a defence-splitting pass from Steven Gerrard to put the hosts 2-0 up in the 29th.

That lead was the very least Liverpool deserved from a first half they utterly dominated and which also saw Gerrard and Daniel Agger hit the woodwork. Their goalkeeper Simon Mignolet had been called upon shortly after Sterling's effort, though, to keep out a Joss Labadie free-kick.

And Sky Bet League One outfit County, perhaps feeling as if they had nothing to lose, then went at their opponents early in the second half and were rewarded with a headed goal in the 62nd minute from Yoann Arquin.

Liverpool looked to have regained control of the contest from there and Kolo Toure became their third player to hit the post when he might have done better.

But the visitors then stunned Reds fans by snatching an equaliser with six minutes of normal time remaining, substitute Adam Coombes slotting in.

County had penalty shouts turned down in extra-time when Enda Stevens went down under the attentions of Sterling in the box, and moments later Sturridge stroked in his second goal of the night and fourth of the season.

That strike was in the 105th minute and in the 110th, substitute Jordan Henderson cut through the County defence to wrap up the win for the Barclays Premier League side.

A memorable goal from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas inspired Bristol City to a Capital One Cup upset as they beat Premier League visitors Crystal Palace 2-1 at Ashton Gate.

Emmanuel-Thomas finished a move he started with a thumping finish to break the deadlock before playing a crucial role as Scott Wagstaff put the tie to bed with an accurate finish from outside the penalty area.

With top flight points on their minds Palace never looked like ending their Ashton Gate hoodoo which now stretches back 34 years and 11 visits, even after Owen Garvan's top-draw volley flew in with seconds remaining.

Connor Wickham came off the bench to spare Sunderland's blushes as the Premier League side blasted four goals inside 18 minutes to see off MK Dons 4-2.

The League One side appeared to be heading into the Capital One Cup third-round draw after taking a deserved 2-0 lead with the Black Cats in tatters.

However, with the home fans voicing their disapproval, manager Paolo Di Canio sent on Wickham in place of the hapless Ji Dong-won and ultimately saw his move pay off as the substitute scored twice in the remaining five minutes to send Sunderland through.

Elsewhere, West Brom enjoyed a 3-0 win over Football League newcomers Newport thanks to Saido Berahino's hat-trick. Norwich proved too strong as they eased past Bury 6-3.

Hull survived a scare as they defeated Leyton Orient 1-0 after Robert Brady's extra time goal, but Reading were on the receiving end after they lost 6-0 to League One side Peterborough.

Southampton crushed Barnsley's hopes with a 5-1 win at Oakwell, while Fulham saw off a spirited Burton Albion side on penalties after their 2-2 draw. West Ham cruised past Cheltenham with a 3-1 win at Upton Park.

Burnley beat Preston 2-0 in the Lancashire derby, Carlisle were downed 5-2 at home to Leicester and Derby enjoyed a 5-0 rout of Brentford.

Leeds took the Yorkshire bragging rights with a 3-1 away win at Doncaster and Huddersfield were 3-2 victors at home to Charlton.

Queens Park Rangers lost 2-0 to Swindon, as Bolton also lost out on penalties to Tranmere after their match ended 1-1 in 90 minutes at Prenton Park.

Birmingham booked their place in the third round with a bizarre 3-2 penalty win at Yeovil - the match ending 3-3 after normal time.

Blues players and staff were incensed when Byron Webster scored to take the match into extra-time; they felt the home side should have returned the ball to them after goalkeeper Colin Doyle had kicked the ball out of play following an injury to Birmingham defender Dan Burn.

However, Tom Adeyemi's penalty in the shoot-out took the 2011 League Cup winners into the third round.

Connor Wickham's last minute brace spared Sunderland's blushes © PA Photos
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd