• FA Cup

Quadruple still on as City survive Watford scare

ESPN staff
January 25, 2014
Sergio Aguero started Manchester City's comeback © Getty Images

Manchester City kept their quadruple hopes alive after they survived a scare to come back from two goals down and beat Watford 4-2 in the fourth round of the FA Cup at the Etihad Stadium.

City boss Manuel Pellegrini had talked up his side's chances of securing a clean sweep of trophies this season, and few doubted Watford would pose much threat to their lofty ambitions having won just one of their last 14 games prior to Saturday.

But Watford took the lead after 21 minutes when Troy Deeney found Fernando Forestieri who controlled and shot low past Costel Pantilimon. Deeney then doubled their advantage on the half-hour as an improbable victory looked to be on the cards,

However Sergio Aguero got City back into the game though, converting Aleksandar Kolarov's cross an hour into the match.

Aguero then made it five goals in four games since returning from injury, curling the ball home for his 24th of the season.

And Kolarov completed the comeback for City, Watford keeper Jonathan Bond letting his 40-yard shot slip through his hands with just three minutes remaining to end their hopes of earning a replay.

City weren't done, however, with Aguero completing his hat-trick in injury time after heading in Jesus Navas' cross.

Bryan Oviedo was taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg © Getty Images

Everton cruised into the fourth round after a 4-0 win at Stevenage, but Bryan Oviedo's suspected broken leg will likely have taken the gloss off the victory for Roberto Martinez.

Everton were leading 1-0 through Steven Naismith's early close-range goal when Oviedo suffered the injury in the 16th minute, appearing to catch his studs in the turf when he slid in to challenge Stevenage's Simon Heslop. Oviedo was stretchered off and taken to hospital.

Naismith then added his second after 32 minutes before Johnny Heitinga - in what could be his final appearance for Everton - headed home the third ten minutes after the restart. Magaye Gueye wrapped up the win after finding the back of the net from Leon Osman's clever pass with six minutes remaining.

Crystal Palace were the only Premier League team to go out as holders Wigan Athletic won 2-1 at the DW Stadium.

Ben Watson, who scored Wigan's winning goal in the FA Cup final against Manchester City last season, scored against his former club nine minutes from the break, tucking home James McClean's pull-back. The first half saw eight minutes of added time after Jonathan Parr needed urgent medical attention for a clash with Wigan's Callum McManaman. Parr was taken off on a stretcher wearing an oxygen mask.

Palace then levelled through substitute Aaron Wilbraham's close-range finish, but McClean restored Wigan's lead after 78 minutes.

The lowest-ranked side in the competition - Kidderminster Harriers - will be very proud of their efforts after going down just 1-0 at League Cup finalists Sunderland.

Gus Poyet made 10 changes from the side that won on penalties at Manchester United on Tuesday, and Sunderland needed just five minutes to take the lead when Greek winger Charis Mavrias' controlled finish found the bottom corner.

Southampton avoided a potential banana skin against perennial giant killers Yeovil Town as they eased past the Glovers 2-0 at St Mary's.

The Premier League club hit the bar through Jay Rodriguez after 18 minutes shortly before they made the breakthrough from the penalty spot. Guly Do Prado stepped up and scored his first goals in more than two years after Jos Hooiveld was felled following a corner.

Sam Gallagher assured the Saints' place in the fifth-round when he drifted past two Yeovil defenders before slotting in from a tight angle.

Hull City also avoided an upset - but were made to work much harder in a 2-0 victory at League 2 Southend United thanks to a Matty Fryatt double.

Swansea City had to come from behind to beat Birmingham City 2-1 at St Andrews.

The hosts took the lead when Lee Novak headed home on the quarter-hour mark. But Wilfried Bony came off the bench to turn the game on its head with two goals in the space of two minutes, converting Roland Lamah's cross from a tight angle before finding the top corner shortly after.

Cardiff City have now won two FA Cup games in two since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took over, having scraped a 1-0 victory at Bolton Wanderers.

Fraizer Campbell tapped in Craig Noone's cross to send through Cardiff, who had lost on their last 11 visits to the Reebok Stadium.

Brighton & Hove Albion saw off Port Vale © Getty Images

Brighton & Hove Albion were 3-1 winners at Port Vale. The visitors were ahead when Rohan Ince found the top corner after 26 minutes, but were pegged back by Chris Robertson's header from Chris Lines' cross.

Brighton regained their lead shortly before the break when Solly March fired in. Jonathan Obika then sealed the win 12 minutes from time as he hold his nerve to finish after he was put clean through on goal.

Sheffield Wednesday came away from Rochdale with a 2-1 victory thanks to goals from Joe Mattock and Oguchi Onyewu. Michael Rose gave Rochdale hope when he blasted in from 25 yards with half an hour to go.

Charlton Athletic won the battle of the Championship sides with Huddersfield Town thanks to Simon Church's goal as the Addicks advanced past the fourth round for the first time since 2000.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
ESPN staff Close