• Premier League

Cardiff held as woeful Newcastle slump continues

ESPN staff
April 19, 2014
Peter Whittingham earned Cardiff a point © Getty Images

Cardiff's chances of Premier League survival were dampened as they fought out a pulsating 1-1 draw with Stoke City in Wales.

Jordan Mutch wasted a good opportunity to put the home side ahead; his side-footed effort proved easy pickings for Asmir Begovic.

The Stoke goalkeeper, though, was in fine fettle to deny Peter Whittingham shortly before the break. The winger's free-kick cleared the Stoke wall, but Begovic tipped the ball onto the post.

It proved costly for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side, who went behind on the stroke of half-time when Stoke were awarded a controversial penalty. Peter Odemwingie was fouled by Kim Bo-Kyung and Marko Arnautovic coolly converted the resulting spot-kick.

However, six minutes into the second half and Cardiff were level. Fraizer Campbell was caught in the box by Steven Nzonzi and Whittingham curled home Cardiff's first penalty of the season to level the scores.

Cardiff thought they had completed the turnaround minutes later following pandemonium in the area; Steven Caulker was denied by Begovic and then the post, before Juan Cala's follow-up was ruled out for offside.

David Marshall superbly kept the home side in it with minutes remaining, first turning Odemwingie's effort behind before parrying Oussama Assaidi's one-on-one shot. Jonathan Walters curled the ball against the woodwork in the dying seconds as both teams had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Newcastle United slumped to a fifth consecutive Premier League loss as Swansea increased their chances of Premier League survival with a 2-1 win at St James' Park.

Shola Ameobi found the net with his first goal of the season and first league strike since December 2012 after 23 minutes; Luuk De Jong played a return ball to the striker, who held off Swansea's defence and slid the ball past Michel Vorm for the opener.

Shola Ameobi scored his first league goal since December 2012 © Getty Images

A bizarre substitution occurred ten minutes before half time; referee Chris Foy, who earlier took a ball to the face, had to be replaced by fourth official Anthony Taylor.

Garry Monk's side levelled minutes before the break when Wilfried Bony headed Ben Davies' corner past Tim Krul.

An otherwise lifeless second half sprang into action with five minutes left on the clock as Swansea twice went close to stealing all three points. Jonathan De Guzman fired narrowly over the crossbar before Krul was alert to deny Marvin Emnes late on.

The away side, though, finally found a winner in added time. Chieck Tiote fouled substitute Emnes and Bony fired the ball into the net to ease their relegation woe and leave Toon fans booing heavily at the final whistle.

Crystal Palace's resurgence under Tony Pulis continued as they frustrated West Ham with a 1-0 victory at Upton Park.

Shortly before kick-off, West Ham marked the passing of 20-year-old striker Dylan Tombides with a minute's applause, while the club also retired the number 38 shirt in his memory.

Andy Carroll could only direct Kevin Nolan's cross over the woodwork, but was on hand at the other end as he cleared Kagisho Dikgacoi's header off the line.

Each side saw penalty appeals turned down by referee Martin Atkinson. First, Palace's claims were waved away after Nolan appeared to divert Adrian Mairiappa's goal-bound effort with his hand. Carroll was then denied a spot-kick when he went down under Mile Jedinak's challenge.

Julian Speroni twice thwarted powerful efforts from Mo Diame, while Carroll again saw two headers fail to beat the Palace stopper as both teams went into the break on a par.

However, Palace took the lead from the spot when Cameron Jerome was clipped in the box. Jedinak stepped up to blast the ball into the top corner and Palace held firm for all of three points.

Aston Villa and Southampton cancelled each other out in a stale, goalless draw at Villa Park.

Luke Shaw, under the watchful eye of Manchester United manager David Moyes and coach Phil Neville, showed great pace down the left touchline but Rickie Lambert could only head his effort straight at Brad Guzan, who later denied Steven Davis from eight yards out after a lapse from Villa's backline.

Southampton wanted a late penalty when Nathaniel Clyne's cross appeared to strike the hand of Ryan Bertrand, but it was not given and neither side could find a breakthrough in the end.

Wilfried Bony silenced the St James' Park crowd with an added-time spot kick © Getty Images
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
ESPN staff Close