• League One Play-Off final

Rotherham promoted after dramatic Wembley final

ESPN staff
May 25, 2014
Rotherham have achieved back-to-back promotions under Steve Evans © Getty Images

Rotherham will be playing Championship football next season after they secured a dramatic penalty shootout win against Leyton Orient in the League One play-off final at Wembley.

An end-to-end contest was always on the cards as both sides scored freely during the regular season but a dour opening half hour did not follow the script.

However, the game burst into life with the first real moment of quality in the 34th minute and it was the highly-rated Moses Odubajo that produced it to break the deadlock.

Rotherham failed to clear a free-kick and the ball fell to the 23-year-old 20 yards out. He controlled it and let fly with a left-footed volley that arrowed through a crowd of players and into the top of the net.

Slade's men were on a crest of a wave and Odubajo then turned supplier five minutes later as they doubled their lead.

Some poor defending from James Tavernier allowed the winger to slide the ball across goal for Lee Cox to tap into an empty net.

Steve Evans' side desperately needed some inspiration and they almost found it on the stroke of half-time as Ben Pringle unleashed a 35-yard volley that dipped late, but landed on the roof of the net.

On the back of a verbal rocket from Evans at half-time, no doubt, Rotherham finally stirred. Tavernier and Pringle both curled free-kicks narrowly over, before they reduced their deficit from a third set-play in the 55th minute.

Tavernier sent a delivery in which Jamie Jones spilled under pressure and Revell stabbed into an empty net.

If that was an easy goal Revell was to excel himself with his next effort five minutes later as he sensationally made it 2-2 with a goal that overshadowed Odubajo's.

A loose ball fell to him and from 30 yards, he took a touch and fired a looping volley over the head of Jones and into the bottom corner for his 13th of the season and the third against his former club.

Orient were just grateful to weather the storm without further damage but they found their feet and began to threaten, with Kari Arnason's crucial intervention flying just over the bar, while Lloyd James' dangerous cross caused panic.

Evans' men came back and had two good chances to steal it in normal time, but top scorer Kieran Agard fired wide with a first-time effort and then headed over.

Extra time was low on quality meaning it was decided by penalties. Jones put his side in the ascendency with a low save to keep out Lee Frecklington's effort, but Collin rescued his side with two saves to send the Millers into ecstasy.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
ESPN staff Close