- The Championship
Fulham release stalwart Hangeland by e-mail
Brede Hangeland has expressed his disappointment after his contract at Fulham was terminated by e-mail.
Hangeland had been under contract until the end of next season after penning a two-year extension in 2013, but the club announced on their official website on Tuesday that the 32-year-old had been released. He has made it clear that he had not asked to leave.
"Today I received the news that Fulham Football Club have chosen to terminate my contract with immediate effect," he said in a statement released to Nettavisen by his representative Jon Morland
"I was told of this decision via e-mail, without anyone from the club having met me beforehand to discuss my contract or my future with the club. After six-and-a-half years of hard work and loyalty, and having served the last few years as captain, I am immensely disappointed at how this was handled.
"I would like to thank the amazing Fulham fans as these last few years have been the best of my football career. It was a source of pride to wear the white shirt at Craven Cottage.
"I believe I still have much to offer as a footballer and look forward to the next chapter in my career."
Fulham, managed by Felix Magath, had already announced that a host of players, most notably Steve Sidwell and Damien Duff, would be leaving the club this summer following their relegation from the Premier League.