- World Cup
Hodgson given FA backing
FA chairman Greg Dyke has said that Roy Hodgson will remain as England manager until the end of Euro 2016.
After England were beaten 2-1 by Uruguay, they were relying on Italy to beat Costa Rica to keep their slim hopes of reaching the last 16 alive. However, Italy lost 1-0 on Friday and it was a result which confirmed England's exit from the World Cup at the group stages for the first time since 1958.
Hodgson, who has two years left on his contract, said following the Uruguay loss that he would not resign, and on Friday Dyke gave him his full backing.
"We're supportive of Roy Hodgson, we've asked him to stay as manager," Dyke told reporters.
When asked by Sky Sports News if he felt Hodgson would remain in his job until the end of his contract at the 2016 European Championships, Dyke added: "That is the view of myself, of everybody else here [in Brazil] and of others in the FA."
Hodgson had earlier insisted he had no intention of stepping down despite feeling upset about the turn of events that have left his role being questioned.
"I don't have any intention to resign. I've been really happy with the way the players have responded to the work we've tried to do," he said.
"I'm bitterly disappointed, of course, but I don't feel I need to resign. On the other hand, if the FA think I'm not the right man to do the job that will be their decision, not mine."