- Premier League
Moreno move to Liverpool is off, say Sevilla
Liverpool's pursuit of Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno has hit a dead-end after the Spanish club's sporting director insisted they do not need to offload the player in order to balance the books.
Brendan Rodgers was keen on Moreno and made him a key target to bolster the club's under-performing defence. However, the prospect of a deal faded last week when it emerged Liverpool were unwilling to pay the £20 million valuation Sevilla had set.
Negotiations appear to have ended since with Ramon Rodriguez Verdejo adamant the defender will remain in Spain.
"The matter of Alberto is practically settled. We couldn't reach an agreement and I don't think it can be revived," he told Spanish newspaper El Correo del Andalusia.
"It was a great offer, but the player is only 21 years old and it's possible that the catharsis of being with the national team had a positive effect.
"He has a lot of room to grow and the coach is very happy to have him. I don't think we'll make a lot of moves, but if on August 14 a club comes along and they give you a mountain of cash, well… I know you don't like to hear it, but we are economic managers.
"My feeling is that the negotiations are paralysed and I don't see any hint that they will be restarted. We put a price on our players which we believe to be appropriate. Whoever wants to buy, can buy, and if you can't."
Sevilla, who won the Europa League last season, have already cashed in on Croatian midfielder Ivan Rakitic, who last week completed his move to Barcelona, and Verdejo maintains that they do not need to sell any more players to ensure financial stability.
"Also, with the sale of [Ivan] Rakitic, our needs were covered. We don't have the burden we had at other times."
It's believed Liverpool tabled a £16m bid for Moreno but sources close to the club told ESPN that they were unwilling to be held to ransom. Instead, Rodgers could turn his attention to Argentinian Marcos Rojo.