- Premier League
Costa relishing 'clean and healthy competition' with Torres
Diego Costa is looking forward to fighting Fernando Torres for the main striker's role at Chelsea - and believes he will make an immediate impact in the Premier League.
Better than the rest
- Diego Costa's goals carried Atletico Madrid to their La Liga triumph last season.
- Despite Atletico narrowly losing out in the Champions League final to bitter rivals Real Madrid, Costa was the main man and could be the missing piece of the Chelsea jigsaw as he scored more goals than Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto'o and Demba Ba combined.
- Costa: 36 goals in 52 games
- Torres: 11 goals in 41 games
- Ba: 8 goals in 29 games
- Eto'o: 6 goals in 12 games
Costa reportedly flew into London on Tuesday to confirm the transfer. The 25-year-old has been touted as the replacement for Torres - but Costa insists he will be competing with his fellow Spain international to be chosen as Jose Mourinho's main frontman.
"It's always good to have competition. The important thing for a big club is having great players," Costa told GloboEsporte.com.
"Torres is a great player, I know I will fight hard to be among the holders and I like it. So I think it will be a clean and healthy competition."
Costa, who controversially selected to play for Spain rather than his native Brazil, failed to make an impact at the World Cup following a stellar season with Atletico Madrid during which he scored 36 goals as they won La Liga and were made it to the Champions League final.
Costa has been on holiday for the past three weeks courtesy of Spain's exit from the World Cup in the group stages but is confident of hitting the ground running in the Premier League.
"I am hopeful for what is happening in my life and I will adapt well," he said. "I have wanted to play in the Premier League for a long time and I think it will be a very good and fast adaptation.
"I do not think there will be many changes to the style of play [between Atletico and Chelsea]. Chelsea are a great team and the Premier League is good to play in."