- Transfer News
Chelsea complete Costa signing
Chelsea have completed the signing of striker Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid on a five-year contract.
The club agreed a deal for long-time target Costa at the beginning of July after triggering his £32 million buy-out clause and he reportedly flew into London on Tuesday to complete the transfer.
Better than the rest
- Diego Costa's goals carried Atletico Madrid to their La Liga triumph last season.
- Despite Atletico narrowly losing out in the Champions League final to bitter rivals Real Madrid, Costa was the main man and could be the missing piece of the Chelsea jigsaw as he scored more goals than Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto'o and Demba Ba combined.
- Costa: 36 goals in 52 games
- Torres: 11 goals in 41 games
- Ba: 8 goals in 29 games
- Eto'o: 6 goals in 12 games
Costa told Chelsea's official website: "I am very happy to sign for Chelsea. Everybody knows it is a big club in a very competitive league.
"I am very excited to get started in England with a fantastic coach and team-mates. Having played against Chelsea last season I know the high quality of the squad I am joining.
"I would like to thank everybody at Atletico who made me into the player I am, it was an incredible time for me, but now I am starting a new adventure and I hope to win many trophies with Chelsea."
Costa will join up with the first team for Chelsea's pre-season European training camp next week.
The striker has also said he is looking forward to fighting Fernando Torres for the main striker's role at Chelsea - and believes he will make an immediate impact in the Premier League.
Costa joins former Arsenal and Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas in moving from La Liga to Stamford Bridge this summer.