• Premier League

Bale dismisses Barcelona link

ESPN staff
March 10, 2011
Gareth Bale was a second-half arrival in Tottenham's win over AC Milan on Wednesday © PA Photos
Enlarge

Gareth Bale has hailed Barcelona's performance against Arsenal, but insists he will not be leaving Tottenham for the Nou Camp.

Bale, who came on as a second-half substitute in Tottenham's 0-0 draw with AC Milan, has attracted covetous glances from across Europe after impressing in the Champions League this season. Fabio Capello, the England manager, went so far as to declare him the "No. 1 player in the world" on the back of those displays.

Reports have linked Bale with a move to several European heavyweights, but Spurs are adamant they will not sell the Wales international, who is contracted until 2014.

Now the 21-year-old has declared that he sees his future with the North London club, who have reached the last eight of Europe's premier club competition after disposing of Milan.

"At the moment I'm happy at Tottenham," he told Gol TV. "The truth is I can not discuss this matter. I'm enjoying the football here and I hope to improve."

Having watched Barcelona defeat Arsenal 3-1 on Tuesday, Bale was full of praise for the Spanish giants. "Barcelona are playing great football right now," he said. "They show each week that they are a great team. But we do not fear anyone. We have no pressure. I think we have to play our style, without nerves and show that we are good team."

Bale looks set to play a significant part for Spurs over the final weeks of the season, having shrugged off a back problem.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close