Connacht 10-14 Gloucester, Heineken Cup
Gloucester scrape past Connacht
ESPNscrum Staff
December 10, 2011
Date/Time: Dec 10, 2011, 13:30 local, 13:30 GMT
Venue: Galway Sportsground
Connacht 10 - 14 Gloucester Rugby
Half-time: 7 - 11
Tries: Duffy
Cons: O'Connor
Pens: O'Connor
Tries: Simpson-Daniel
Pens: Burns 3
Gloucester's James Simpson-Daniel crosses the line for their second try of the match, Newcastle Falcons v Gloucester, Aviva Premiership, Kingston Park, Newcastle, England, December 2, 2011
Winger James Simpson-Daniel scored Gloucester's only try in Galway
© Getty Images
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: Heineken Cup

Gloucester remain in with an outside chance of a place in the quarter-finals of the Heineken Cup after battling their way to a 14-10 victory over Connacht at the Sportsground on Saturday afternoon.

Freddie Burns landed the decisive penalty as the Cherry and Whites clawed their way past Connacht to claim their first win in Pool 6 after successive defeats by Toulouse and Harlequins. Burns kicked the English side 6-0 ahead in Galway before James Simpson-Daniel and Connacht captain Gavin Duffy swapped tries shortly before the interval.

The second period was bookended by penalties from Niall O'Connor and Burns as the visitors stood firm to pick up only their second away victory in all competitions since February.

Connacht showed their intent in the opening minutes with Ethienne Reynecke snaffling a turnover and David Gannon bounding up the right wing. Gloucester scrambled well, though, and despite struggling for early territory, Burns edged them ahead with a thumping eighth-minute penalty from halfway.

Pressure from the restart led to Dario Chistolini infringing at a scrum, but O'Connor failed to find the target. Burns then spotted a mismatch in midfield to storm into the Connacht 22, setting up a third penalty attempt which he converted.

Justice was served for the hosts when Burns struck an upright with a long-range penalty attempt after Ray Ofisa was harshly penalised.

Connacht were let down by a series of mistakes - loose lineouts being the most obvious - and Gloucester cranked up the pressure for a deserved 31st-minute try. Skipper Luke Narraway went close before play was swung out to the left, the Cherry and Whites biding their time until a lovely offload out of the tackle from Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu sent Simpson-Daniel over in the corner.

Burns failed to add the extras but the concession of the try prompted Connacht to lift their game. O'Connor's high kick broke for Duffy to gather and jink away from Olly Morgan and glide over by the posts.

O'Connor converted to close the gap to 11-7 before Gloucester almost ended the half with a second try, Charlie Sharples just running out of space as he hurtled onto Henry Trinder's teasing grubber kick.

An early offside in the second half saw O'Connor make it a one-point game, slotting a high and handsome kick from the right. A powerful couple of scrums and a lineout maul then got Gloucester back into scoring range, but they turned down a kickable penalty and Connacht's committed defence kept them out.

However, it fell to Burns to punish Rodney Ah You for being caught offside on 72 minutes, his close-range penalty edging Gloucester home, although the losing bonus point got Connacht off the mark in their first Heineken Cup campaign.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - Monaco GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open