RaboDirect Pro12
Glasgow hold off Connacht for second win
ESPN Staff
September 21, 2012
Glasgow Warriors' fullback Peter Murchie makes a run against Connacht. Glasgow Warriors v Connacht, RaboDirect Pro12, Firhill Stadium, Glasgow, Scotland, September 21, 2012
Peter Murchie was one of four Glasgow try scorers against Connacht © Getty Images
Related Links
Players/Officials: Peter Murchie
Tournaments/Tours: RaboDirect PRO12

Glasgow Warriors scored four tries on their way to a 27-17 win over Connacht at home for their second victory of the season.

Warriors wing Sean Lamont opened the try-scoring in the 18th minute and fullback Peter Murchie made it two in the 25th before Connacht wing Mark McCrea pulled one back for the visitors. After half-time DTH van der Merwe grabbed two either side of Matthew Jarvis scoring Connacht's second try. Along with seven points from fly-half Scott Wright, it was enough to put the match firmly out of reach of the Irish province.

The big news for the home fans in the crowd of 3,646 before kick-off was that international fly-half Duncan Weir had injured a knee in training, meaning the inexperienced Wight was handed a rare start. And fortune was with him as early as the first minute when Connacht dived in at a ruck, giving Wight a straightforward penalty to steer home. Wight missed with a long penalty four minutes later but the game sprang to life at the end of the first quarter.

Connacht full-back Gavin Duffy spilled a steepling kick from Wight and the home side pounced on the ball with James Eddie sending Sean Lamont in at the right corner for an unconverted try. Seven minutes later Glasgow ran back a Connacht kick in exciting fashion. Again on the right wing, Lamont fed full-back Murchie who raced 40 metres for the try converted by Wight.

Leading 15-0 Glasgow looked comfortable, but Connacht hit back in the closing stages of the first half. A clever sidefoot from sub Jack Carty allowed left winger McCrea to touchdown under the bar. Matt Jarvis converted and then in the last act of the first half kicked a long penalty to cut Glasgow's first half lead to 15-10.

When Connacht failed again to deal with a towering Wight kick on 48 minutes the ball broke to Van Der Merwe who broke up field to score under the posts for Wight to convert. However, when Glasgow failed to deal with the restart, Connacht prop Nathan White delighted in picking up and scoring for Jarvis' conversion to narrow the Glasgow lead to two points.

It was seven minutes from time before Glasgow made sure of the win. Substitute number 10 Ruaridh Jackson worked a bit of magic, Murchie kept the move going and Van Der Merwe touched down.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.