Cardiff Blues 24-35 Montpellier, Heineken Cup
Montpellier hold off 14-man Blues
December 9, 2012
Date/Time: Dec 9, 2012, 12:45 local, 12:45 GMT
Venue: Cardiff Arms Park
Cardiff Blues 24 - 35 Montpellier
Half-time: 15 - 19
Pens: Patchell 7
Drops: Patchell
Tries: Audrin, Gorgodze, Nagusa
Cons: Paillaugue
Pens: Paillaugue 6
Montpellier flanker Mamuka Gorgodze charges forward, Cardiff Blues v Montpellier, Heineken Cup, Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff, Wales, December 9, 2012
Mamuka Gorgodze was man of the match for Montpellier
© Getty Images
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: Heineken Cup

Fourteen-man Cardiff Blues had their Heineken Cup aspirations ended as they fell to a third straight Pool Six defeat at the hands of Montpellier, losing 35-24 at Cardiff Arms Park.

Teenage fly-half Rhys Patchell slotted seven penalties and a drop goal for the home side, who had scrum-half Lloyd Williams sent off after 25 minutes for a tip tackle on opposite number Benoit Paillaugue. Pierre Berard, Mamuka Gorgodze and Timoci Nagusa all crossed for Montpellier, with the classy Paillaugue kicking 20 points.

The Blues' defeat adds to the gloom that has enveloped Welsh rugby, with the regions managing a collective one win from nine Heineken Cup matches to go with the national side's run of seven straight defeats.

The injury-ravaged Blues, without Sam Warburton, Leigh Halfpenny, Jamie Roberts, Bradley Davies and a host of others, did make a good fist of the opening quarter against a Montpellier side resting several of their first-choice names.

Patchell had the hosts on the board inside four minutes with a penalty and fell just short with a long-distance effort just seconds earlier. But there were already early warning signs for the Cardiff scrum, an Achilles heel throughout the season.

An emphatic drive from the Montpellier pack allowed Paillaugue to slot a monster 50-metre penalty, and another strong shove gave the scrum-half his second three-pointer after Patchell had briefly put the hosts back ahead.

Patchell, showing a good degree of composure for one so young, replied with another penalty to make it 9-6 at the end of a scrappy opening quarter lacking in creativity. But the Blues' hopes were dealt a major blow when Wales international Williams was dismissed.

The home crowd howled their derision at referee John Lacey, but the official was left with little choice after Williams lifted opposite number Paillaugue and dropped him on to the back of his neck after the ball had squirted out of a Blues scrum.

Paillaugue dusted himself down to level the scores from the resulting penalty, only for Patchell to again respond, this time with a well-taken drop goal. But the home side's numerical disadvantage soon told as Montpellier built patiently through the phases to work an overlap on the left for wing Berard to cross, with the reliable boot of Paillaugue adding the conversion from the touchline.

Patchell kept Cardiff in it with yet another penalty, but when Dafydd Hewitt came in at the side of the ruck Paillaugue struck to leave the visitors 19-15 to the good at the break. The Blues turned round with a strong wind behind them and Patchell used it to bring them within a point with a huge three-pointer from almost his own 10-yard line.

Montpellier should have made the game safe 15 minutes into the second half when Yoan Audrin picked off Patchell's pass. The young fly-half did brilliantly to haul the winger down, but when the ball was recycled the visitors had a huge overlap, only for Gorgodze's final pass to Berard to be ruled forward.

Paillaugue did at least re-establish the four-point lead with his latest penalty, and the French side's second try followed with 14 minutes to go.

Fly-half Santiago Fernandez gathered in Paillaugue's kick to take Montpellier deep into Cardiff territory. Desperate scrambling defence kept out Berard, but Gorgodze stretched out to dot down through the ruck.

The hosts battled gamely and Patchell quickly slotted another two penalties to get the Blues back to within three points. But Paillaugue steadied any French nerves before replacement wing Nagusa sealed the win by finishing smartly in the corner.

Reflecting on the game-changing sending off of Williams, Blues boss Phil Davies said: "It was a bit of a rustic challenge, I think we will contest it but we will have to have a look at it. I am not sure it was the right decision.

"It was unfortunate, in the last few weeks Lloyd has been playing really well, but aside from that I thought the way we adjusted and played after that, considering the age of some of the players out there, and the way we played to come back into the game was really pleasing.

Montpellier coach Fabien Galthie, however, was in no doubt the referee had made the right call. He said: "The red card was important, it changed the face of the game. After that the referee penalised us a lot because he wanted to equalise the game.

"But the law is the law. The player knows the law and he has to respect it. It would have been the same for us. It is a dangerous tackle that deserved a red card."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - German GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open