The Heineken Cup Number Crunch
Castres look to prove history wrong against Leinster
October 18, 2013
James Hook was the lead points-scorer in round one of the Heineken Cup © Getty Images
Ahead of round two of the Heineken Cup, ESPNscrum brings you a pick of the best statistics from Europe's top matches.
Cardiff Blues v Toulon
Cardiff Arms Park, Saturday, 1.35pm
- Cardiff's Josh Navidi was the top tackler in Round 1 of this season's Heineken Cup, making 19 tackles in total.
- Cardiff have a win rate of 39% against French clubs - their poorest rate against any nation (Played 38 Won 15 Drawn 1 Loss 22).
Leinster Rugby v Castres
RDS, Saturday, 3.40pm
- Leinster's defeat to Clermont last season ended a series of 12 consecutive victories over French clubs at home, a run that included a 33-3 win over Castres in 2008.
- Castres have won just two of their last 21 away games in the Heineken Cup (Loss 18 Drawn 1) and in Ireland, they have lost all seven of their games.
- Only Racing Métro (161) made more tackles than Leinster (153) on the opening weekend of action in the Heineken Cup.
Munster v Gloucester Rugby
Thomond Park, Saturday, 6.00pm
- Gloucester have won five of their last six Heineken Cup games against Irish clubs, losing only to Munster in the 2007-08 quarter-finals.
- Munster have lost their last two Heineken Cup games; they have not lost three consecutive games since 2007.
- This will be the sixth meeting between these clubs in the tournament. All four pool meetings to date have produced home victories.
Northampton Saints v Ospreys
Franklin's Gardens, Sunday, 12.45pm
- Tom Wood won eight lineouts for Northampton last weekend, more than any other player in action on the opening weekend.
- Northampton had the worst scrum success rate in Round 1 (60%).
- Saints have won five of their last six Heineken Cup matches against Welsh opposition, the only dent in this run coming at home against Scarlets in 2011.
- Ospreys have won just two of their last 18 away games in this competition, both of these wins coming in Italy.
Perpignan Rugby v Edinburgh
Stade Aime Giral, Sunday, 1.45pm
- James Hook scored all 22 points for Perpignan in their narrow loss to Gloucester in Round 1. No player scored more on the opening weekend.
- Edinburgh's Cornell du Preez (18) made more tackles without missing one than any other player in the first round of action.
- As a team Edinburgh missed just four of 129 attempted tackles in beating Munster, the best success rate of any club in Round 1.
Clermont Auvergne v Harlequins
Stade Marcel Michelin, Sunday, 4pm
- Clermont's Lee Byrne and Sitiveni Sivivatu made more carries (20) than any other player on the opening weekend of action.
- Harlequins' Mike Brown crossed for two tries in the defeat to Scarlets last weekend. He also made a first round high 148 metres with the ball in hand.
Best of the rest
- Exeter were the only side to make a total of more than 600 metres with the ball in hand on the opening weekend (617).
- Racing beat domestic rivals Clermont last weekend despite having the least amount of time possession of any side in Round 1 (nine minutes).
- Only Mike Brown (148) made more metres with the ball in hand than Montpellier No. 8 Kelian Galletier (143) on the opening weekend of action.
- Connacht's Sean Henry was on target with all 11 of his lineout throws for Connacht against Saracens last weekend. No player in the tournament managed as many with perfect success rate.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd