February 13 down the years
Last-gasp Williams raises the roof
Shane Williams' last-gasp try raised the roof at the Millennium Stadium on this day in 2010 © PA Photos

Shane Williams brought the Millennium Stadium to its feet with a last-gasp try to defeat Scotland 31-24 in an all-time classic Six Nations contest. Williams set the seal on a remarkable comeback that culminated with an amazing 17 points in the last three minutes. Tries from John Barclay and Max Evans had put the Scots on course for victory and the boot of fly-half Dan Parks gave the visitors a 10 point lead midway through the second half. But winger Leigh Halfpenny pounced to give Wales hope before Stephen Jones brought the sides level with a late penalty. There was still time for one more dramatic twist with Williams diving over under the posts to break Scottish hearts - while both hooker Scott Lawson and fly-half Phil Godman were in the sin bin. The game was also notable for a terrible career-ending injury to Scotland wing Thom Evans.

Bob Hillier's three penalties were enough to give England a 9-6 victory in Dublin as well as produce an apology from chief selector Don White for dropping him for the loss to Wales in the previous match. His kicks also saved the blushes of referee Meiron Joseph who ignored a clear knock-on from Eddie Grant as he chased down a long kick to score for Ireland. "I saw the incident but decided to allow Grant the benefit of the doubt," Joseph said. "It looked like a readjustment to me."

England scored two tries to none but lost 18-17 at Twickenham to France for whom Dimitri Yachvili kicked six penalty goals. On a blustery day in south west London Andy Robinson's side slid to their second successive defeat in the Championship. France turned the game on its head in the second half, and although both sides missed countless opportunities with the boot it was England who paid the ultimate price for not putting points on the board when offered the chance. Three missed penalties a piece for Charlie Hodgson and try-scorer Ollie Barkley, and a wayward drop goal attempt from Hodgson meant France were let off the hook in a game in which they looked beaten.

Ireland were robbed of victory at Twickenham by a late David Marques try that Don Rutherford converted. The game ended 8-5 to England.

News broke that Ireland wing Bill Brown was unable to play against England to be replaced by veteran Lion turned businessman, Tony O'Reilly, for the next day's match with England. O'Reilly had not played a Test match since 1963 but started out wide as England nicked the points 9-3.

Led by John Daniell of Richmond, England thumped Ireland 19-0 at Blackheath to record their best victory in an international match for eight years.

Romania became the first country behind the Iron Curtain to be granted official regular fixtures by the IRB against Five Nations sides. Until then only France had offered them regular games. The initiative came from Wales, who staged Romania's first tour to the British Isles in 1979, amid fears that unless the IRB expanded the game the second-tier countries could split and form their own association.

Ernie Crawford, charismatic Irish captain of the 1920s, led his side to a 19-15 win over England - their first against the men in white for 15 years.

Hal Sever, England's match-winner with a drop-goal against Wales the month earlier, pulled the match against Ireland out of the fire with a memorable touchline sprint for a try that brought a 9-8 win at Twickenham. Ireland led 8-3 with ten minutes remaining .

© Scrum.com

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.