Ireland v South Africa, November 10
Springboks fight back to beat Ireland
ESPN Staff
November 10, 2012
Date/Time: Nov 10, 2012, 17:30 local, 17:30 GMT
Venue: Lansdowne Road, Dublin
Ireland 12 - 16 South Africa
Attendance: 49781  Half-time: 12 - 3
Pens: Sexton 4
Tries: Pienaar
Cons: Lambie
Pens: Lambie 3
South Africa scrum-half Ruan Pienaar dives over a ruck to score a try, Ireland v South Africa, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland, November 10, 2012
South Africa's Ruan Pienaar dives over to score the only try of the match against Ireland
© PA Photos

Ireland's hopes of humbling South Africa were picked apart in a one-sided second half at Aviva Stadium as the Springboks came back to win 16-12.

Jonathan Sexton kicked four penalties as the Irish seized the 12-3 interval lead their dominance deserved, only for the Springboks to ignite their power game. Ulster scrum-half Ruan Pienaar crossed for the night's only try in the 45th minute and Pat Lambie kicked 11 points as South Africa, who started as strong favourites, took control.

Jamie Heaslip captained Ireland for the first time and Richardt Strauss, who last month qualified for the injury-hit Irish on residency grounds, made his debut at hooker opposite cousin Adriaan, while Simon Zebo won his second cap at full-back. Zebo passed an early test under the high ball and moments later Gordon D'Arcy launched an intelligent counter-attack that ended with a poor chip kick from Keith Earls.

Just 10 minutes into the game and South Africa had conceded four cheap penalties, two of which were sent between the uprights by Jonathan Sexton. It was an encouraging start by muscular Ireland, who were having few problems dealing with the Springboks' route one approach.

Earls knocked on just as he was sent through a gap by Sexton and the fly-half then took time to climb to his feet after halting a bulldozing run by JP Pietersen.

Pat Lambie and Sexton exchanged penalties but Ireland were still playing most of the rugby, showing invention as they worked their way downfield. D'Arcy was thriving in the absence of Brian O'Driscoll as he welcomed the responsibility of being the senior figure in Ireland's midfield.

Repeatedly tested under the high ball, Tommy Bowe had impressed while lock Mike McCarthy and the Irish back row of Heaslip, Peter O'Mahony and Chris Henry were making their presence felt.

South Africa's composure crumbled as first Willem Alberts kneed Sexton in the ribs and then Pietersen was sent to the sin bin for using the shoulder while tackling Henry early. Another three points from Sexton punished the Springboks' indiscipline as Ireland opened a 12-3 lead they fully deserved.

The home side's superiority in broken play and out wide was evident, but they also looked happy to mix it with the bigger South African pack. Sexton missed his first penalty of the evening and the half finished with Springbok scrum-half Ruan Pienaar falling short from long range.

But South Africa were finally coming alive and almost crossed through hooker Adriaan Strauss at a line-out drive in a passage of play that saw Heaslip sin-binned for standing offside.

Scenting blood, the Springboks went for the jugular and were rewarded when Ruan Pienaar darted over from close range with Lambie converting.

The landscape of the match now look radically different with rejuvenated South Africa just two points behind. Captain Jean de Villiers bulldozed through D'Arcy and Earls as referee Wayne Barnes offered Lambie another shot at goal which he took.

Ireland desperately chased the late score that would nudge them back into the lead, but were strangled out of the game by the canny Springboks.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.