Schmidt hopeful of keeping Sexton
January 21, 2013
Jonathan Sexton is a man in-demand © PA Photos
Leinster boss Joe Schmidt is optimistic that star fly-half Jonathan Sexton will turn down the huge money reportedly on offer in the Top 14 and re-sign with the Irish province.
Sexton's contract is up at the end of the season and reports claim that Racing Metro have met with him in an attempt to secure his signature ahead of the 2013-14 campaign. Ireland boss Declan Kidney said last week that he was hopeful Sexton would stay in Ireland and Schmidt is confident that the situation should be resolved this week.
"It would be great for Jonny if it got sorted out in the next week," Schmidt said. "I just don't think he needs it heading into the Six Nations. I really hope that one way or the other - one way, to be honest - it is sorted. Hopefully it'll play out in the next week or so."
Sexton is dealing both with Leinster and the Irish Rugby Football Union regarding his new contract and Schmidt has been impressed with how the IRFU has dealt with the negotiations amid the pressure of the money on offer across the Channel.
"It's an IRFU issue and I've got to say they're doing their darnedest to wind it up," added Schmidt. "We'd love to hold on to him and Ireland would love him to stay in the country as well but I also know Jonny's in demand. There will always be big offers for quality players like him. He works very hard, he's skilful and he runs a good game… he's a super player and a super kid."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.