Brennan appeals lifetime ban
March 27, 2007
Former Ireland lock Trevor Brennan has lodged an appeal against a lifetime playing ban, the European Rugby Cup announced tonight.
Brennan will also appeal against a suspension from participating in any tournament organised by the ERC and a hefty fine he was handed after being found guilty of misconduct for punching a supporter during a Heineken Cup clash.
The Toulouse star announced his immediate retirement from the game just days before the hearing in London on March 16.
The independent disciplinary committee found Brennan guilty of entering one of the seating areas in Stade Ernest Wallon on January 21 and repeatedly striking Ulster spectator Patrick Bamford.
Brennan claimed he was provoked, which has been denied by the fan.
He was fined PS17,000 and ordered to pay PS3,500 compensation to Bamford and the costs of convening the hearing.
A date for the appeal to be heard, and the composition of an independent appeal committee, will be confirmed as soon as practicable, the ERC said.
Last month the French Rugby Federation banned Brennan until the disciplinary hearing was complete.
The player, who always planned to retire at the end of the current French Championship, then announced his retirement because of the ERC's refusal toadjourn the hearing until after any pending criminal proceedings.
Brennan even took his appeal for an adjournment to the Irish High Court, fearing the outcome of the disciplinary hearing would affect his right to silence in the French court.
After the hearing, Bamford said he was satisfied with the result, but a solicitor acting for the Ulster fan stressed that he would be pursuing defamation actions against a number of media organisations.
Communication error please reload the page.