Canterbury 47 - 10 Waikato, ITM Cup
Colin Slade stars behind dominant forwards
August 29, 2013
Date/Time: Aug 29, 2013, 19:35 local, 07:35 GMT
Venue: Rugby League Park, Christchurch
Canterbury 47 - 10 Waikato
Half-time: 21 - 3
Tries: Funnell, Keresoma 2, Osborne, Slade, A Whitelock, GB Whitelock
Cons: Bleyendaal, Slade 2
Pens: Bleyendaal 2
Tries: Mitchell
Cons: Hawera
Pens: Hawera
Canterbury's Colin Slade runs past Trent Renata, Canterbury v Waikato, ITM Cup, AMI Stadium, Christchurch, August 29, 2013
Colin Slade produced a pivotal performance at fullback
© Getty Images
Related Links

Canterbury compounded Waikato's Ranfurly Shield hangover with a relentless seven-try victory in their ITM Cup match in Christchurch on Thursday.

Waikato looked increasingly out of sorts as they struggled to rebound after losing the coveted shield to Otago in round two, lacking both timing and ideas as Canterbury dominated possession and territory for the opening 40 minutes. Canterbury's tight forwards dominated the formidable Waikato unit including Chiefs Super Rugby winners Ben Tameifuna and Toby Smith to lay the foundation from which Colin Slade, back from All Blacks duty, impressed from fullback to play a key role in their three first-half tries as well as sidestepping his way to score their sixth in the closing minutes of play.

Slade worked the overlap beautifully in the 16th minute to feed winger Milford Keresoma, who dived over in the corner, then fired a perfectly placed pass out wide after second five-eighth Ryan Crotty's initial break for Keresoma's second 10 minutes later. Canterbury scored their third try eight minutes from half-time, when they shifted the ball wide after a patient build-up. Slade, under pressure from the advancing Waikato defence, flicked the ball on to winger Patrick Osborne, who offloaded for hooker Ben Funnell to barrel over.

Canterbury's Nepo Laulala beats the tackle of Joe Perawiti, Canterbury v Waikato, ITM Cup, AMI Stadium, Christchurch, August 29, 2013
Nepo Laulua was strong in the tight five for Canterbury © Getty Images

Waikato emerged for the second half with more resolve, and they were rewarded two minutes into the period when captain Toby Smith opted for the sideline instead of three easy points from in front of goal, and hooker Brayden Mitchell crashed over after patient work from the resulting lineout.

Canterbury did not regain momentum for 20 minutes, when Adam Whitelock wrapped up the bonus point with a well-worked set-piece try.

They then completed Waikato's humiliation with three tries in the last seven minutes: Canterbury's rock-solid scrum set up George Whitelock in the 73rd minute, Slade sliced through four minutes later, and Osborne completed the rout on full-time.


Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.