British & Irish Lions
How much do you know about the Lions?
May 27, 2013
How would Lions coach Warren Gatland do in our quiz? © PA Photos
With the British & Irish Lions set to embark on their latest quest, it is time for you to begin your own preparations with our quiz.
1. Who was the last Welshman to lead the Lions on tour?
2. Which player has made the most Test appearances for the Lions?
3. Who captained the Lions to a series victory over Australia in 1989?
4. What is the name of the Lions' anthem commissioned by Sir Clive Woodward in 2005?
5. How many tours has Sir Ian McGeechan been on during his playing and coaching career?
6. What was the Lions' starting centre partnership for their third Test clash with South Africa in 2009?
7. Who is the Lions' all-time leading points scorer in Tests?
8. Who are the only players to have appeared for and against genuine Lions tour teams?
9. What trophy will the Lions and Australia contest and who is it named after?
10. When did the Lions first adopt their now world-famous red shirts?
11. Who was the last uncapped player selected for the British & Irish Lions?
12. Who provided the opposition in the Lions' first ever game?
13. Who captained the original Lions squad?
14. Who is the Lions most prolific try scorer in Tests?
15. What is the Lions' biggest ever tour victory?
16. Name the two sets of brothers who toured with the Lions to New Zealand in 1993?
17. Which two players hit the headlines with outspoken newspaper columns during the 2001 tour to Australia?
18. Who captained the Lions in their warm-up clash against Argentina in 2005?
19. Who was denied a try in the dying moments of the Lions' fourth Test clash with South Africa in 1974 that would have set the seal on a perfect record of 22 wins from 22 matches?
20. In what year did the Lions score their only series victory over New Zealand?
21. Complete this line from former Lions coach Jim Telfer's famous speech ahead of the Lions' first Test against South Africa in 1997: "This is your Everest, boys...".
22. In what year was the Sing-a-long with the Lions album produced?
23. How many times did the Waratahs' Duncan McRae punch the Lions' Ronan O'Gara during their clash in 2001?
24. Two players have featured for the Lions and Australia - Tom Richards is one, but who is the other?
25. How many times have the Lions toured Argentina?
How did you fare?
0-5: Don't bother looking for your passport - you'll be sitting this tour out.
6-10: You might squeeze your way into the bloated tour squad that Sir Clive Woodward took to New Zealand in 2005.
11-15: You might not like it - but you've got dirt-tracker written all over you.
16-20: You are ready to scale your 'Everest' - a Test place and a series victory is yours for the taking.
21-25: Take a bow and take your place alongside 'The Invincibles' who swept through South Africa in 1974.
(Answers - 1. Phil Bennett (1977), 2. Willie John McBride (17), 3. Finlay Calder, 4. The Power of Four, 5. Seven - two as a player (1974, 1977) and five as coach (1989, 1993, 1997, 2005, 2009), 6. Riki Flutey and Tommy Bowe, 7. Jonny Wilkinson, 8. Riki Flutey and Tom Reid, 9. Tom Richards - only Australian-born player to have featured for Lions and Australia, 10. 1950, 11. Will Greenwood (1997), 12. Otago, 13. Robert Sneddon, 14. Tony O'Reilly, 15. 116-10 v Western Australia (2001), 16. Underwoods (Rory & Tony) and Hastings (Gavin & Scott), 17. Austin Healey and Matt Dawson, 18. Michael Owen, 19. Fergus Slattery, 20. 1971, 21. "...very few ever get a chance in rugby terms to get for the top of Everest. You have the chance today.", 22. 1977, 23. 11, 24. Blair Swannell, 25. 3 (1910, 1927, 1936)
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.