'We have both made mistakes' - Hamilton
Lewis Hamilton has admitted both he and Nico Rosberg have made mistakes during their championship campaign this year, saying it would "be wrong to point fingers" following their collision at Spa-Francorchamps.
Rosberg took responsibility for the clash and apologised to Hamilton, Mercedes and the fans on Friday. Both drivers were summoned to a meeting with team bosses Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe in Brackley, after which the team issued a statement saying Rosberg had been disciplined but the drivers were still free to race.
Following several incidents this year, including engine mapping controversies in Bahrain and Spain, Rosberg's Monaco qualifying lap and Hamilton disobeying team orders in Hungary, Hamilton admitted both drivers had made mistakes this year.
"Today we came together as a team and discussed our differences," he said in a statement. "Nico and I accept that we have both made mistakes and I feel it would be wrong to point fingers and say which one is worse than the other. What's important is how we rise as a team from these situations. We win and we lose together and, as a team, we will emerge stronger.
"There is a deep foundation that still exists for me and Nico to work from, in spite of our difficult times and differences. We have the greatest team, the strongest group of individuals who have worked their hands to the bone to give us the best car you see us racing today. It's important that we never forget that and give them the results they deserve. Today, Toto and Paddy told us clearly how we must race against each other from now on in a fair and respectful manner.
"The fans want to see a clean fight until the end of the season and that's what we want to give them. It's going to be a tough road from here but championships have been won from much further back than I am now. And I promise you that I will be giving everything and more to win this for my team, for my family and for my fans."