Boston police officer goes viral after Red Sox celebration

October 15, 2013
Steve Horgan celebrates David Ortiz's eighth-inning grand slam hit © Getty Images

For a city that has embraced its first responders in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, it seems appropriate that a photo of a Boston police officer with his arms raised, standing in the Red Sox's bullpen celebrating David Ortiz's eighth-inning grand slam as Torii Hunter tumbled over the outfield wall, will go down as the iconic image of Boston's dramatic Game Two victory on Sunday night.

"I couldn't even hear myself it was so loud," Steve Horgan, a 27-year veteran of the Boston police force, told ESPNBoston.com. "I can't believe it. I don't know what to think. I can't believe it. It was an awesome feeling."

Ortiz's grand slam erased the Detroit Tigers' 5-1 lead and sent Fenway Park into frenzy. The Red Sox won it an inning later on a walk-off single by Jarrod Saltalamacchia, but it was Ortiz's slam that will be forever remembered.

"Oh, it was awesome," the 50-year-old Horgan said. "It was great. David Ortiz, grand slam - it was great."

The replay, showed over and over, saw Hunter flipping into the bullpen and Horgan celebrating. The officer's phone soon began to light up with text messages of the picture.

Steve Horgan pictured doing his celebratory pose with Red Sox owner John Henry © @ESPNJoeyMac

"I've got about 20 of them on my cellphone," Morgan said.

As soon as he realised Hunter might have injured himself on the play, Horgan quickly went over, checked on the right fielder and called for help just in case.

The pitchers in the bullpen also checked on Hunter, and a Detroit team trainer came running out from the dugout to tend to him.

Like many of the Red Sox players and their fans, Horgan started to grow his beard at the start of the play-offs. The beard is a combination of dark and white colors, and he's trimmed it only once since he began to grow it.

Now, Horgan says he's not touching the beard at all. Even his boss, who was standing nearby after the game, told him not to shave it.

After the game, Horgan stood in the players' parking lot behind the Red Sox clubhouse as players were leaving. A few shook his hand.

Then Red Sox owner John Henry was leaving when his wife, Linda, introduced her husband to Horgan. The two shook hands and took a picture together with Horgan recreating his celebratory pose.

This is Horgan's first full season patrolling the Red Sox bullpen. It's now a good luck detail for the Red Sox, and chances are he will keep that post for the foreseeable future.

"It's awesome," Morgan said. "The guys are great. The players are great, and the coaches are really great."

Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.

This article originally appeared on ESPN.com

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
ESPN staff Close