Blues concerned over Stanley concussion
May 21, 2012
The future of Benson Stanley remains unclear © Getty Images
The career of Blues utility Benson Stanley may be in the balance after his latest bout of concussion.
Stanley received the fifth serious head knock of his short career in the Blues' thrashing at the hands of the Crusaders at the weekend. Blues head coach Pat Lam all but ruled Stanley out for the remainder of the Super Rugby season, with doubts now emerging over his future in the game.
"It's concerning, another concussion and he's had a few now," said Lam. "He hasn't had one this year but on the back of the one he had with Auckland last year there is concern.
"The medical team are monitoring that and he'll go through the normal protocols. He could be out for a while. After the game it wasn't the right time to be talking through (when he will return) and I don't think he remembered too much."
Stanley will be closely monitored by the Blues' medical staff until late June, with a decision on his future to be made shortly after.
"Then they'll make a better call and I'll leave it to the medical staff," Lam said. "There is no pressure to play and it's going to be a call for Benson and the medical staff."
Stanley may have at least played his final game for the Blues as he has signed on to join Clermont next season. Lam confirmed he will prepare for the rest of the Super Rugby season assuming that Stanley will not return.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.