July 1 down the years
The crocked Kiwi match winner
All Black hero Ron Elvidge scores against the Lions © Unknown

Ron Elvidge scored the winning try in a 6-3 victory at Wellington over the Lions that secures the series for New Zealand. He had already made his mark on the series when he scored to give New Zealand a 9-9 draw in the opening Test but shortly before half-time in the series decider he left the field with a damaged collar bone. In the era before replacements he resumed - the All Blacks were already down to 14 because of a serious knee injury to prop Johnny Simpson - but was a virtual spectator, playing behind the back line. Speaking years later, he recalled: "I know Cleaver [the Lions fullback] was in front of me and Peter Johnstone [a forward switched into the backs because of the injuries] was beside me. I was still shaky and groggy and it was because of that I decided to have a go at Cleaver myself. I was scared that had I passed to Peter, my handicap might not have meant the ball even reaching him." He scored but that was almost the last act of his rugby career as he never played again. "If it had not been for the rules I'd have not gone back," he said. "I'd have to say the rules of the time were absolutely stupid and dangerous."

Finlay Calder's Lions crashed to a 30-12 defeat to Australia in the opening Test of their three-match series. The tourists were outscored by four tries to nil at the Sydney Football Stadium where Michael Lynagh's kicking - tactically as well as for goal - proved decisive. The crowd howled their derision - as the Daily Express noted the Australians "are bad losers and even worse winners" - and the press rounded on the side, predicting a series whitewash after a performance which left theme described as "toothless pussycats". Within a fortnight those same reporters were singing a very different tune.

A German flying bomb fell in a front garden of a house opposite the West Gate at Twickenham rugby ground injuring 16 people. It also caused damage to the West Stand. During the latter part of the war Twickenham was used as a Civil Defence Depot, with special responsibilities as a decontamination centre in the event of a chemical attack on London.

New Zealand ran in eight tries in a 48-14 win over Scotland in Auckland.

Lote Tuqiri's rugby union career was left hanging in the balance after the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) revealed that they were terminating the winger's contract with immediate effect due to an alleged discipline breach. Tuqiri, capped 67 times by the Wallabies, eventually agreed a settlement with the ARU before moving to English club side Leicester. He was then lured back to rugby league, where he originally made his name, by signing for the NRL's Wests Tigers.

Scotland wing Thom Evans was forced to retire due to the serious spinal injury he suffered while on duty against Wales in that year's Six Nations. Evans played 10 Tests for Scotland after making his debut against Argentina in 2008, often playing alongside brother, Max.

New Zealand Rugby Union referees manager Lyndon Bray defended assistant referee Bryce Lawrence's performance in the controversial 2nd Test between South Africa and the British & Irish Lions - won 28-25 by the Springboks. Lawrence had been criticised after Springbok flank Schalk Burger appeared to gouge the eye of Lions winger Luke Fitzgerald but was only yellow-carded by referee Christophe Berdos, on Lawrence's recommendation. "In terms of law, the ref is the guy who has to ultimately make the decision and I fully back what Bryce did," Bray told The Dominion Post. "I admire the fact he saw it, because often these incidents are missed because they happen away from the ball and on the ground, so I thought he did an admirable job of seeing it in the first place. Then he took a discretion is the better part of valour attitude in terms of the extent to which he forced the issue of yellow or red card."

The Wallabies crashed to a then record defeat for a touring side in South Africa, beaten 28-3 by Orange Free State at Kroonstad. Basie Viviers scores a try, kicks two conversions and lands three penalty goals for the State.

A hat-trick of tries by Malcolm Price, two for Tony O'Reilly and one by prop Gordon Wood (father of Keith) saw the Lions secure a 25-13 victory over the NZ Universities, for whom wing "Tuppy" Diack scored all their points.

In the ninth match of their South African tour the Wallabies crashed to their fifth defeat, beaten 13-9 at Newlands by a strong Western Province side.

© Scrum.com

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Football

  • Cricket

  • Rugby

    • Days
    • Hrs
    • Mins
    • Secs

    F1 - Mexican GP

  • OtherLive >>

    Darts - Premier League
    Golf - Houston Open
    Snooker - China Open
    Tennis - Miami Open